New cars, no spares??

hyundai.monday
10-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Got a flat tire in a 2013 Hyundai Elantra, but no spare in sight...

Why would a brand new car, straight from the dealer, come without a spare tire? :confused:

hyundai.monday
10-19-2012, 01:27 PM
It came with some sort of tire inflator kit instead..

Can anyone tell me what this thing is, if I should use it, and what do after it's been used??

oldblu65
10-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Got a flat tire in a 2013 Hyundai Elantra, but no spare in sight...

Why would a brand new car, straight from the dealer, come without a spare tire? :confused:
There's likely two reasons for this : # 1 - space considerations . Any kind of spare tire , whether full size or the little spares take up space and have to be taken into consideration during the design phase of the manufacturing process .Where to put it where it doesn't interfere with the styling goals nor with the interior design ? # 2 - Not having an actual spare tire saves the manufacturer money . Millions of cars mean lots of dollars not spent on spare tires ! The tire inflator kit is much cheaper than an actual spare tire and is much easier to fit into the design of the car ! " Just my :2cents: , worth every penny you spent on it "

hyundai.monday
11-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Does anyone know what brand Hyundai uses for their Tire Mobility Kits?

shadows
11-01-2012, 12:29 PM
one gets hung up on buying a car-

spare tires these last 15 years leave a bit to be desired-
there isn't a spare tire- shock! did a buyer even care to find out before signing-

shorod
11-02-2012, 07:05 AM
I suspect the lack of a spare has more to do now days with fuel economy than space. A spare tire and wheel, no matter how small, still weighs a lot more than an inflater and can of flat fix. Also, with ABS and stability control, the systems can be very sensitive to small differences in tire diameter. How many people checked their spare tires to make sure they were properly inflated?

I wonder how well the flat fix behaves with the TPMS sensors....

-Rod

roxannedetierro
11-06-2012, 04:46 AM
I think manufacturers should look at this issue. They should give new car buyers a spare tire. Having one gives the owner peace of mind.

danielsatur
11-06-2012, 11:21 AM
If the TPMS is triggered, it's best to fix a low pressure leak ASAP,.
Do you really want to change back to a temp tire?
I would rather see a fire extinguisher in it's place.

shadows
11-08-2012, 05:06 PM
I think manufacturers should look at this issue. They should give new car buyers a spare tire. Having one gives the owner peace of mind.

kind of been a fact for years- 80% of people wouldn't bother with changing a tire- cell phone and roadside assistance- and actually wondering if they knew where the spare tire, jack, tire iron is, and if they could change it- in short- never dawns that they might be stranded with a flat-

we see vehicles pretty regularly with low tires and wonder- do they know they have a flat or about to be flat- seen enough drive on rims to wonder if they really care

for one- I'm not sure the fix a flat in a can isn't the best thing- for many-
course- one still needs to be aware there's usually some written advice even in that- much less drivers reading their owners manual when they get a vehicle to even know they have an option besides complaining

you really think it would matter if every vehicle had an easy fix for a flat or not- how many would actually think they might actually have a flat tire and have to get out of the vehicle and jack up the vehicle, loosen the perhaps impossible to loosen lug nuts with the vehicle supplied tool, get the spare out, put it on, tighten the lug nuts safely- and oh- make sure the spare had enought air:uhoh:-

odds are- you'd be totally unhappy and ready/willing to complain-like on a forum- when in fact- life deals you issues- deal with them in the best way you can- no reason to think you are more special than the other 51%

danielsatur
11-17-2012, 10:59 AM
It's probably best to jack the car up while using Fix a flat, all the weight/pressure is off the tire during the inflating/sealing process.

shadows
11-19-2012, 07:22 PM
It's probably best to jack the car up while using Fix a flat, all the weight/pressure is off the tire during the inflating/sealing process.

agreed- do they even bother to find out if they have a jack- or actually know how one is used- kind of goes back to do they actually care to read- or whine

Add your comment to this topic!