Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 regal ls wont start - Need Help Fast!!

cserrette
10-16-2012, 10:26 AM
:confused:I recently changed out the ignition switch after seeing that some of the symptoms my car had match those. It would not start sometimes, just all the dash lights would come on. I also have to use the release switch to get the key to turn to the off position to remove it. After replacing the switch nothing. I tried to jump start from the starter and turned the key and she would start but would not turn over. Now the battery is dead. I was wondering could it be the key cylinder needs to be replaced? The starter? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

clinicar
10-16-2012, 10:57 AM
check the security system that can cause that issue
some cars usually gm. after doing major work on ignition switch the security goes koo koo.. try to live the ignition switch on for about 15 min and then try to start it or it might be a cheep on the key that need to be synchronise with the esm

cserrette
10-17-2012, 09:50 AM
Thanks I will try that, I have to get this battery jumped or replaced first.

Tech II
10-17-2012, 09:57 PM
First thing you do, is just turn the key to "on"(don't crank)........the SECURITY light should come on for 3-5 seconds and then go out......if it stays on, you have a Passkey problem .......

Does your ignition key have a resistor pellet or is stamped PK3? Also, is there an aftermarket security system installed in the vehicle?

Has the vehicle been scanned for "P", "B", and "U" codes?

As for trouble removing the key, you either have a BTSI solenoid problem, or one or more of the wires in the harness to it are broken......

cserrette
10-18-2012, 04:41 PM
My key does have a resistor pellet in it. Also how do I find out if my alarm system is after market? I will also go out and get a code reader any suggestions? I guess it is a good tool to have. Thanks. Putting in a new battery this weekend and plan to work all weekend to get it running.

Majoroutlaw
10-18-2012, 05:39 PM
if you just replaced ignition switch you must re set the pass lock to your new ign cylinder to do this you must...
turn key to start/run position- try to start vehicle
wait for security light to turn off (apx. 10 min)
re do step 1 and 2
and then redo step 1- vehicle should recognize new passlock code and start.
you are suppose to do the process 3 times but i usually find on the third try it starts.

Tech II
10-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Majoroutlaw, he has PassKey, not Passlock......

He replaced the Ignition switch, which is not the lock cylinder.....

cserrette
10-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Security light went out, starter is working but it will not crank over. Could it be the full pump now. I have a floating gas gauge. maf sensor was replaced a year ago.

cserrette
10-22-2012, 07:58 AM
Ok, new battery, starter is works, fuel pump works. I have to keep my foot on the accelrator to keep the car running. I had the maf sensor replaced less than a year ago. I unplugged to see if it would work and nothing. Should change out the idle control valve, or is there another sensor for me to check into. I'm not sure about the relays but could they be the problem now.

Tech II
10-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Have you scanned for codes yet?

Did you check fuel pressure with a gage?

Remove the vac line to the f/p regulator and check for fuel......

Check for spark on all cylinders with spark tester?

Check for injector pulse?

This a 3.8? Check coolant level in reservoir AND radiator......is it low?

cserrette
10-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Update: Car started ran great for 5 days. I changed out the idle air valve and it fired right up. Now the car won't start, no crank, nothing. It is doing the samething as it did in the beginning before I changed out the ignition switch. I plan to check the starter again and fuel system to make sure all is working well. Question I was wondering if the switch went bad again or if when I tried to jump start the car from the starter did that give some life to starter to work for a short time.

cserrette
10-29-2012, 09:28 AM
Have you scanned for codes yet?

Did you check fuel pressure with a gage?

Remove the vac line to the f/p regulator and check for fuel......

Check for spark on all cylinders with spark tester?

Check for injector pulse?

This a 3.8? Check coolant level in reservoir AND radiator......is it low?
the coolant light did come on stating low coolant.

Add your comment to this topic!