Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Alero - Trac Light, ABS Light

rmullennix
10-15-2012, 06:23 PM
OK, I give up. Replace two wheel bearing on front of car, check all fuses, cannot get the lights off!!! Wire harness??

gmtech1
10-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Do you know what the code is? If it is still a speed sensor code, then it's probably the speed sensor harness.

lord Kelvin
10-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Been there done that. Most likely the wire-harness on the right/passenger-side. If you remove the wire from the harness close to the wheel bearing, you will likely find the insulation on one of the wires is hard/cracked and the wire is broken. I can't remember the color, but a month or so after doing the repair, I saw my problem & solution posted by someone else on this bulletin board. As I recall, it broke within a foot of the connector to the wheel bearing. To repair it, I spliced a wire and as far as I know it's still working. At least, the kid hasn't said it failed.

rmullennix
10-15-2012, 08:57 PM
OK, I'll look for a wire issue. I do not have the means to check the codes. Just figured it would go away if I replaced the wheel bearing...

rmullennix
10-21-2012, 07:04 PM
Well, a new weekend and some time to spend monkeying with the car. The ABS , and the Trac Off lights are still lit. Did not find a wire issue as far back as I could from the connector on the wire harness. Tried a different relay in the ABS Enable slot, no change. I did read the vehicle manual and it stated these lights would be lit of the parking brake was not completely disengaged??? It feels disengaged (rear wheel rotates freely). I had someone else set the brake and release it and the cables that I could see were working fine. Could it be an issue with the brakes themselves? Perhaps a bad caliper, because; the drivers side front caliper makes a lot of strange creaking noises, during the last pad change the pads on the drivers side front were barely worn, and the caliper slide pins were bent. While the pads on the passenger side were gone (worn down). The brakes also feel too soft even after bleeding (they work though).

gmtech1
10-21-2012, 08:37 PM
Just because you did not "see" a problem with the harnesses, does not mean there is not a problem with them. The wire inside the insulation is a fine "angle hair" wire. It will break inside the insulation and you cant see it. You REALLLY need to have the codes read for a proper diagnosis.

Tech II
10-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Wheel bearings are expensive....hard to believe you replaced them without knowing what the code was......What if it's a rear bearing? Or an EBCM problem?

rmullennix
10-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Much wheel grinding = wheel bearing change needed as well as the lights. Both issues have been dealt with on our other kids Alero so I figured it was a given. Also, two wheel bearings = $99.00 on 1A Auto with an installation video no less. A full scan from the local mechanic = $60.00. Autozone, Advance Auto scans = worthless, the people doing the scans leave me with no confidence in what they say and parts cost a fortune.

Any ideas on where the wire terminates? I could run a continuity check if I knew where it terminated.

mischievous
10-20-2014, 09:00 PM
There is an Alero 2.2 gx that i am considering of buying. It also has the Service Vehicle Soon, ABS and Trac off lights on.
I drove the car and It has a really good driving. Brakes are a little tough though.
Is it a dangerous thing to drive this car while these lights are on?
Does it mean the ABS is not really working?
There is no humming or any strange noise.

Add your comment to this topic!