Page updated on 11-18-2017

Tamiya HG Trigger Type Air Brush

dynosam
10-15-2012, 05:22 AM
Hi Guys,

Would this be a good first airbrish. Would it be able to be used with zero paints? ///////if you have any comments on this airbrush please let me know.

Thanks

Sam

MidMazar
10-15-2012, 09:40 AM
For the price your going to pay, i would go with an iwata. The tamiya is a good brush although over priced. Myself am not a big fan of pistol grip style. This type of airbrush mainly for spraying bigger parts like bodies. I think it would feel awkward using it for small detail IMO.

stevenoble
10-15-2012, 10:13 AM
I've had one since 2006 and it has performed faultlessly in all that time and never let me down. Very easy to use and maintain. Personally I find the trigger style brushes much more comfortable than normal ones. Sure, it can spray heavy wet coats for bodies but it can also spray finer, down to a pencil line thickness, so it's a good all rounder. As for the price and quality issue it's actually made by Iwata for Tamiya so no problems there..

Vric
10-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Tamiya airbrush are done by Iwata, so quality is good. But it might be cheaper to get an Iwata depending of where you are from. With 0.3mm needle, you can do small details.

I'm not a fan of pistol handle. but it's a matter of taste.

ZoomZoomMX-5
10-15-2012, 12:45 PM
For the price your going to pay, i would go with an iwata. The tamiya is a good brush although over priced. Myself am not a big fan of pistol grip style. This type of airbrush mainly for spraying bigger parts like bodies. I think it would feel awkward using it for small detail IMO.

I have a gravity-feed Grex w/pistol grip, and quite the opposite...I love it. It can lay on an amazing wet coat on a body, or be adjusted down to spray finer than my Iwata HP-CS Eclipse. The pistol grip is much more natural, IMHO...but then again, I was using a 1:1 spray gun before I got an airbrush. Being someone's first airbrush, it really doesn't matter, since they all work basically the same.

I've heard many good things about the Tamiya airbrush.

RonCla
10-15-2012, 08:07 PM
I've had one since 2006 and it has performed faultlessly in all that time and never let me down. Very easy to use and maintain. Personally I find the trigger style brushes much more comfortable than normal ones. Sure, it can spray heavy wet coats for bodies but it can also spray finer, down to a pencil line thickness, so it's a good all rounder. As for the price and quality issue it's actually made by Iwata for Tamiya so no problems there..

I'm in agreement with Steve. I've got 3 Tamiya HG triggers.

Two have the .5 tip and one has the .3 tip. Never had an issue with any of them and have always done everything I have asked of them.

dynosam
10-16-2012, 01:35 AM
Thanks for all of the comments guys. I hadn't researched enough and I had no idea that this cost $200+! Are there any cheaper brushes still with the trigger style that are good quality?

Thanks

Sam

stevenoble
10-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks for all of the comments guys. I hadn't researched enough and I had no idea that this cost $200+! Are there any cheaper brushes still with the trigger style that are good quality?

Thanks

Sam

Iwata do a trigger brush, but I think it's more costly than the Tamiya one. The Grex trigger style mentioned in an earlier post is also around the $200 mark..

scalecar
10-16-2012, 02:39 PM

Thanks

Sam

Yes, try this link below. The SB80 model is under $50 with trigger type.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/master-performance.aspx#G76

Despite its low prices, Master airbrushes work very well.

88Porsche944
10-16-2012, 05:34 PM
yes, try this link below. The sb80 model is under $50 with trigger type.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/master-performance.aspx#g76

despite its low prices, master airbrushes work very well.

:1:

dynosam
10-23-2012, 05:15 AM
So if I was to buy the SB80, what else would I need to buy before I could paint? Could you guys list some good cheap Compressors?

Thanks for all the help.

Sam

RonCla
10-23-2012, 07:00 AM
The best deal in compressors will be found in your local Hardware/ Auto Parts stores.

The likes of Bunnings/ Supercheap and Repco will all have home handyman compressors with decent sized tanks that are cheaper than the the little airbrush compressors you will find in a hobby store.

They regularly have them on sale too. At least over here in NZ.

The only down side to the home handyman type compressors is they can be loud when running.

I just turn mine on to fill the tank and then switch it off as a full tank will last me all evening.

scalecar
10-23-2012, 05:02 PM
So if I was to buy the SB80, what else would I need to buy before I could paint? Could you guys list some good cheap Compressors?

Thanks for all the help.

Sam

Each brand of airbrush is likely to have a different connector size. So does Masters brand that you are considering. But they do sell adapter to make their brushes usable with other brands of compressors. For example, if your compressor has the 1/4 inch connector, you can ask them what adapter you need to connect their Master brand airbrush to the compressor.

As an example, I put a 1/4 inch to Badger air hose adapter at my compressor output. When I use the Master brush, I use an adapter from the airbrush to a badger hose. The hose is then connected to the compressor.

Hope this helps.

Add your comment to this topic!