Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2008 Escape Limited, 3.0L V6 Spark Plugs

snipez
10-13-2012, 09:31 PM
I need to replace my plugs and got a quote from a local shop.

They told me 6 hours of labor? WTF?

He mumbled something about the fuel line rod or something.

Does 6 hours seem even remotely feasible?

Thanks

jdl
10-14-2012, 02:30 PM
I have never replaced spark plugs on your vehicle. I did see one labor spec of 2 and 1/2 hours. I take those labor specs with a grain of salt. Sometimes I can come close to those specs and sometimes I can't.

65comet
10-14-2012, 05:44 PM
My V6 is 02, so probably the same. Compared to my 98 Sable DOHC V6, the Escape is a breeze. The Sable I have to get the intake out of the way to get to the back plugs. I've done all 6 in the Escape in an hour. I recommend the spark plug socket with the long swivel extension built in. I've done the Escape several times due to filling the socket tubes with water every time I clean the engine. I have just started the routine of blowing out the tubes with air, then pulling the plugs to hand dry, inspect and reinstall with each cleaning. No matter how hard I try, enough water gets in one of them to cause a code if I don't do that.
You just have to remove the cover for the front ones, and lay across the engine for the back ones. Plenty of room compared to others.

shadows
10-16-2012, 12:29 PM
I decided to pull and replace my OEM plugs at 60,000 miles-
08 Escape 3.0 V6
wanted to install different plugs
looked on line
Advanced Auto Parts, and called to be sure they listed & had correct parts
Federal Mogul Intake Manifold Gasket Set #MS92586- 14.19 Ford Motocraft SP448OEM Fine Wire plugs 6 42.54

there really isn't much to removing the top 1/2 of the intake
just disconnecting what is attached and moving out of the way
EGR assembly really only needs the 2 bolts removed
you should be able to take it easy, make notes, no special tools needed,
and have the top 1/2 off in under an hour

You might want to get the
Haynes Repair Manual
" Ford Escape & Mazda Tribute 2001-2011" #36022- darn good manual

I'd say you could do it yourself on a Saturday- get the parts listed first of course

course you could always post here if you feel you have hit a stumbling block

shadows
11-01-2012, 01:27 PM
so- did you pay to have your spark plugs replaced

MrsTebot
11-13-2012, 06:01 PM
I just replaced all of my spark plugs and a coil in my 07 escape. Takes like 1hr tops if you know what youre doing.

dylanborns
11-14-2012, 07:45 AM
I just did mine also, and it was very easy. After removing the plastic engine cover, you just have to unhook about 8 different items from the top of the motor to get to the intake bolts. Once thats out of the way, the plugs and coils are right there.
I'll mention a couple items that I ran into when I did mine-
Make sure and vacuum the top of the motor if its as dusty as mine was. Also, before removing the plugs, put a shop vac over the holes or used compressed air to blow them out. I noticed small debris in a couple of mine down by the plug. You don't want that stuff falling into the cylinder.
My coils weren't bad, but I went ahead and replaced the back three while I had the top of the motor off. That way I don't have to do the job again anytime soon. The front three are easy to get to and can wait.
I had two plugs that wouldn't budge and I felt like I was getting close to busting them off. If you have that issue, spray a little WD-40 down into the tubes and let it sit for awhile. It'll break the plugs loose.
I tried to replace my PCV valve yesterday, and its buried on the right side of the motor. It would have been alot easier to get to when I had the intake off.

shadows
11-16-2012, 03:54 PM
I just replaced all of my spark plugs and a coil in my 07 escape. Takes like 1hr tops if you know what youre doing.

interesting- 08 Escape V6 you would bet $1,000.00 you can pull all 6 spark plugs and install new and have it runing in under an hour

65comet
11-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Having pulled all 6 plugs in my 02' V6 everytime I wash the engine because the tubes fill with water, I think I could get close to 45 minutes. I'll time myself next time to see.
For future readers with similar problem, try switching plug and coil from one cylinder to another and see if the error code follows the change. Then just the plug and see what happens. Plugs are a lot cheaper than coils, so it helps to figure out which might be the cause before buying all. Even if you need all replaced, do the check first so you'll know if you have additional problems that need to be looked at.

shadows
11-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Having pulled all 6 plugs in my 02' V6 everytime I wash the engine because the tubes fill with water, I think I could get close to 45 minutes. I'll time myself next time to see.
For future readers with similar problem, try switching plug and coil from one cylinder to another and see if the error code follows the change. Then just the plug and see what happens. Plugs are a lot cheaper than coils, so it helps to figure out which might be the cause before buying all. Even if you need all replaced, do the check first so you'll know if you have additional problems that need to be looked at.

I'm a mechanic- I'd pull my 08 Escape in any garage and like to see the 6 plugs replaced in under an hour- clock starts when the hood is raised-
any takers

Add your comment to this topic!