Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brake Question

Nunya1961
10-08-2012, 07:10 PM
The wife has a 2005 Matrix with 100,000+ miles. She took her car to a National tire center for tires. They checked her brakes and said the back were fine, but the front were almost gone. They said the rotors were fine and didn't need turning.

They prepared an estimate and what confuses me is that the priced (2) calipers. Know it has been awhile since I have worked on cars, but I don't remember replacing calipers on a brake job unless they showed signs of leakage.

So, my question: Is replacing calipers a standard now on brake jobs? Is it a safety thing based on the miles? Or is it a auto shop taking advantage of a woman?

gmtech1
10-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Places like National Tire Center and Brakes Plus, pretty much have it as policy to replace calipers or they will not warranty their work. If you ask me, its a rip off. If the calipers are not leaking or binding, no need to replace them. I'm surprised they did not quote you rotors also!

Nunya1961
10-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Places like National Tire Center and Brakes Plus, pretty much have it as policy to replace calipers or they will not warranty their work. If you ask me, its a rip off. If the calipers are not leaking or binding, no need to replace them. I'm surprised they did not quote you rotors also!

Thanks....that is what I thought. The tire center was Les Schwab and it really surprised me that they wanted to replace the calipers without reason.

Add your comment to this topic!