Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hard starting

joslinm
10-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Have a 98 S-10 4 cyl. Sometimes starts very hard in wet weather. Tries to catch and finally does after a minute of cranking.
Any obvious things I should check/replace first?

MT-2500
10-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Have a 98 S-10 4 cyl. Sometimes starts very hard in wet weather. Tries to catch and finally does after a minute of cranking.
Any obvious things I should check/replace first?

Check for bad plug wires and coils.

May be shorting across or out when wet.

joslinm
10-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Check for bad plug wires and coils.

May be shorting across or out when wet.

probably could use changing anyway. I think they could be original, at least the coils. They look like murder to change out. Am I right?
Mike

j cAT
10-10-2012, 08:13 AM
probably could use changing anyway. I think they could be original, at least the coils. They look like murder to change out. Am I right?
Mike

the spark plug wires when old or damaged because of over heating due to improper routing or no fasteners to properly hold in place cause the resistance to rise. often the resistance will be an open . then when the mositure increases like a cold morning start with dew on the block you get arcing to ground or to other wires .

I would replace the wires and the plugs. use the dielectric grease inside the boot ends.

the other problem you may find is when the wires open , arcing also occurs inside the distributor. inspect for damage , carbon tracking.

the ignition control module[ICM] at this age cannot take much of this arcing. component rapidly overheats which can cause sudden ignition failure when hot.

plug wires properly installed of good quality should last about 10 yrs.

the silicone conductors and insulation after this amount of time should be replaced to avoid engine shut down and loss of power and MPG.

Add your comment to this topic!