Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

04 2.2 Manual Tranny removal issues

comet240
10-06-2012, 07:59 PM
ok so i trying to take out the transmission out of my 2004 car how many bolts are there? i pulled off 4 18mm bolts and one ground bolt
but i cant get it to split

also i cant not remove the drive axels nor the passanger side the lower control arm bolt spins when i try to take nut off so i screwed so i wanna pull the whole tranny with the drive axels still hooked up

so any help be great i ready to burn this car lol

comet240
10-06-2012, 08:31 PM
found 2 more above the starter and above the passagenger drive shaft but still cant get it off must be another bolt?? do they slip off easily? i use a piece of hood to hit on

comet240
10-06-2012, 09:02 PM
so i got it split finnally but i cant spread it part past 2 inchs whats holding this piece of crap in lol i lowered engine as far as it will go loosed off the top engine mouts a bit too i rasie and lower tranny but i cant get it to move farther

comet240
10-06-2012, 09:30 PM
whats common for this to hang the transmission on? i pray i can see the slave cylinger good but i still cant lower tranny or slide it off what would cause it to be stuck on still?? what am i missing?

comet240
10-06-2012, 10:17 PM
do u need to unhook the lower engine mount the dog bone one to get engine to drop farther?? how far i need to drop to get this damn tranny out been struggleing and accidently broke on top of engine this plastic thing with the green cap that says hand tight only dunno what that sensor dodad does or is called
ugh

comet240
10-07-2012, 08:55 AM
ok i stuck i guessing the engine cradle is in the way??? how the hell do u remove that to get the transmission out like seriously i though u can just pull it out once its un bolted

what is next cuz there is nothing talking about this other bracket thats in the way to get the tranny out ugh

im guessing its the front suspension cross member that goes across the car

comet240
10-07-2012, 04:43 PM
so i still struggling i unbolt the bolts for the supsension cross member and the 2 bolts for the rack and pinion thing

but it wont drop on the transmission side what the hell is holding that piece of crap up sure the passenger side drops but not the drivers side

this is getting mor complicated as now i forgetting where all these bolts go now

comet240
10-07-2012, 05:08 PM
ok so i got trans mission out but damaged crank shaft maybe? its all scratched up hope its fine here some pics

and there is something on top of tranny i guessing broken off?? or what i have no idea maybe someone can tell me there pics too fring its hard to do by yourself on floor i going to have hell time getting it back up ugh

and there is 2 caps the one i holding is not the one that u see sitting on transmission it was sitting beside it though just laying there

and the book talks about putting grease on the release cylinder and bearing but this doesnt come with a bearing? so whats up with that as its just the thing

comet240
10-07-2012, 05:47 PM
i figured out the gear i see is just the old clutch plate but i trying to use the power built clutch kit algnment tool and none of the fittings fit snuggly at the end inside the engine they all loose except the 2 cuz there too big so what do i do there?

comet240
10-08-2012, 07:16 AM
so i was thinking the thing i didnt remove on this car is transmission vent is that what is broken or what not? from the pictures is it fixable as its 2 piece those things

comet240
10-08-2012, 01:41 PM
since i having so much problems getting tranny back in like i was able to get a bottom bolt in and a top bolt but tightening in i couldnt get it to slide in am i going to run risk of damaging the the fingers??

how u get it to slide in with just a 2 ton jack?

comet240
10-08-2012, 03:11 PM
ok still stuck i was able to get in like 4-5 bolts in to tighten in and about less then a inch from the two halves from touching i use a screw driver on the fly wheel but the transmission dont turn even if i shift gears whats going on so its not in??? its it damaging something i cant slide it in by myself on just a plain 2 ton jack

so what do i do or whats going on i try turning the drive shafts they move but not stiff like if it were in gear

so is it in or not? em i damaging something?

thing is pissing me off be easier if i had proper things to live a transmssion 2 feet off ground ugh

Add your comment to this topic!