Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help! what is this ticking?

Knuckles69
10-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Hello, need some help diagnosing a noise Im getting from my 1995 TBI 4.3l V6 Vortec. 156,000 miles. Just bought the truck from my parents, it was rarely driven and sat for long periods of time between use. Its had a slight tick since I can remember which always quiets down after about 5 minutes of warm up time. Did some searching before I bought it and it seems like alittle piston slap is a common trend so I didn't worry too much. I've been given different explanations for the sound from various shops, everything from an exhaust leak, to a weak valve spring from sitting, to a bad lifter, to the oil draining out of the top end after sitting. The sound has been consistent so I havent worried about it too much. A couple days ago I let a coworker borrow the truck to move his son. He did about 150miles, truck sounded normal when I picked it up to take it home. Roughly 3.5-4hrs later I started it to go to the store and it was louder than I've ever heard it. Now, at this point its so loud I'm afraid to drive it/ let it run too long cause it sounds like it may be damaging something internal. Can anyone identify this sound? Am I even safe to drive this to a shop or am I risking blowing something up completely? Using 10w30convetional oil - its at the correct level - also has a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer in it. Oil pressure is fine, doesn't fluctuate at all. Anything anyone can tell me would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvjOsVNE9yQ&feature=youtu.be

(sorry, the video is upside down)

777stickman
10-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Sorry, it is virtually impossible to diagnose a noise over the internet. It could be any one of the things you have listed. One thing that was not mentioned are loose spark plugs. So you might want to check that.

Good luck.

Knuckles69
10-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Yea, internet really doesn't help much on this one. I checked the plugs. Unfortunately they were all in there tight. Wish it could have been something that simple. Is there anything else I can check to try and narrow down the options? If I pull the valve cover off will I be able to identify a weak valve spring or a bad lifter without specific tools? I was planning on running motor flush through it before my next oil change. Should I give that a try first? Are a weak valve spring or bad lifter something that could really severely damage the motor if I need to use it in the next week or two? or just noise & worse mileage? I appreciate suggestions even if its just something else I can check out.

j cAT
10-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Yea, internet really doesn't help much on this one. I checked the plugs. Unfortunately they were all in there tight. Wish it could have been something that simple. Is there anything else I can check to try and narrow down the options? If I pull the valve cover off will I be able to identify a weak valve spring or a bad lifter without specific tools? I was planning on running motor flush through it before my next oil change. Should I give that a try first? Are a weak valve spring or bad lifter something that could really severely damage the motor if I need to use it in the next week or two? or just noise & worse mileage? I appreciate suggestions even if its just something else I can check out.

use marvel mystery oil in the crankcase. add about 5 OZ. over about 100miles the noise should quiet down if a carboned up /sludged up dirty lifter. since the noise comes and goes it is usually a lifter[s] being dirty and not holding oil. if they fail to do this then lifters will be too short and make noises.
this product works to clean these deposits out

Motor flush in most cases will not breakdown carbon. good for sludge though.

DO NOT BREATH THOSE FUMES FROM THAT MOTOR FLUSH !

use the marvel mystery oil to the fuel. one ounce per 10 gallons. this cleans and lubes the fuel system reduces corrosion from the alcohol water fuels used. helps free up the combuston chamber and compression rings.

I use this product for decades in all my engines. this stuff works to prolong engine life.

Knuckles69
10-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Mystery Oil did the trick. I still have a little tick but it sounds better than it has in years. Awesome. Very Impressed. Hypothetically, since it still has a light tick, how catastrophic would it be if that lifter eventually failed while I was driving? Something that's going to get thrown around the motor and cause major damage? or can I run this one till it goes completely out without damaging the engine?

Thanks again on the Mystery Oil. Will definitely be running some through the fuel system as well.

j cAT
10-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Mystery Oil did the trick. I still have a little tick but it sounds better than it has in years. Awesome. Very Impressed. Hypothetically, since it still has a light tick, how catastrophic would it be if that lifter eventually failed while I was driving? Something that's going to get thrown around the motor and cause major damage? or can I run this one till it goes completely out without damaging the engine?

Thanks again on the Mystery Oil. Will definitely be running some through the fuel system as well.

that sounds good that this is most likely a carbon issue. watch the oil color when it turns blackish replace. then add the marvel as before 5 OZ and continue to watch the oil color.

replace the oil when hot only. this removes the most debris and let it drain for a half hour.

replace the PCV and make sure this crankcase venting works/no leaks in the hoses etc. could be related to insufficient crankcase venting.

Jnasty727
01-12-2013, 02:09 PM
I had a ticking problem like this after I swapped the heads on my 94 k1500, It wasn't quite as loud but it may be a loose lifter. It was on the drivers side and I narrowed it down to the specific lifter by listening to it. I just tightend down the lifter nut slowly until you notice a shift in rpm, then lossen the nut 3/4 of a turn, and the rpms should pick back up...If its still ticking i would try that. If you do decide to do that i would get some lifter clips to put over the lifters so they dont spray oil everywhere.

Add your comment to this topic!