Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 2.2 anti theft stuck on issues

comet240
10-01-2012, 04:00 PM
hi i have done the 3 key thing for 10 min
i have changed out the ECM from a 97 sunfire 2.2 also the key cylinder by turning key on and pressing button to pull out
also changed out the moduel thats up behind the glove box

but still it wont run
why? i guessing the small box is the BCM? i also got told the instrument cluster might be faulty this is BS

is there anyway i can hard wire this perment i dont need no stupid anti theft

all help be welcome

comet240
10-02-2012, 05:47 PM
so i read more stuff so the anti theft system sends a constant signal to the ECU is that 12 volts? and if so what wire? that goes to the ECU? then id just add 12 volts to that wire and completely bypass the anti theft and so what if the light is on

aleekat
10-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Is your security light flashing? Do you have a "pellet" in your key? It's visible.

comet240
10-02-2012, 10:14 PM
its a plain key its a 1997 so guess made in 1996
the anti theft light is solid on all the time never goes out even with the key on thing

i changed out the ignition cylinder from a 97 sunfire never worked either got told from the newrockies website that its a bad IPC thats why there module will not work so i like to hard wire the thing is the fuel injectors disabled or pump etc?

J-Ri
10-04-2012, 10:12 PM
See my response to your other thread on this issue.

The signal is serial data between the IPC, BCM and PCM. It cannot be disabled except by reprogramming the PCM to not require a valid signal from the anti-theft system. It can be done with HP Tuners, but expect that to cost a couple hundred dollars, assuming you can find someone in the area to do it. It was $650 to buy, several years ago, and you have to buy the rights to program each individual vehicle.

The anti-theft on this model disables the command to the fuel injectors from the PCM. There is no way around it except to fix the original problem or reprogram the PCM.

You really need to check codes to be able to fix this. See my explanation of this in your other post on this subject.

comet240
10-05-2012, 12:29 PM
oh ok well hopefully they will fix it for less then 600

but this tool can be used on any car?

comet240
10-29-2012, 05:53 PM
so i finally got computer anti theft tuned out
car didnt start at first had to spray several times starter fluid in the intake to get it to fire up so not sure why

but here is question

it all started because of a catlylic converter

orginal exhaust system used a cat that didnt have a 2nd O2 sensor just the one at the exhaust manifold

i replaced the whole exhaust from front to back with a new system and the new cat use's a 02 sensor at it the 2nd one but i had it plugged with a bolt from an oil pan as it didnt use one orginally, and thats when the cat twice (2 brand new ones) over heated i was then told it was probably coolant sensor saying to computer its -40 and computer putting mroe gas in, but i thinking maybe the cat is built different from the ones that use 1 02 sensor then the newer one that uses 2 o2 sensors as i had to uncap the protector cover on the 02 sensor plug for the 2nd one they had it capped off

but when i did get it running it was stinking like burning smell and choking would that been un burned carbon or so sitting in the cat? i let i run for an hour then in my field i did circles for 20 min at 40km/h with this storm it is getting to windy to test so i going to run it tommorow or after hurricane sandy done, but what would the burning smell be i think its gone now but havent tested more

but least its running

Add your comment to this topic!