Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 2.2 where is the computer located?

comet240
10-01-2012, 11:41 AM
hi i wanna swap out the computer from my 97 sunfire into my 97 cav they both 2.2 and i going to swap ignitions

but where is the computer located its not in the hayes book

jdl
10-01-2012, 11:46 AM
For the cavalier, It should be behind right front facia on impact bar. Passenger side front.

comet240
10-01-2012, 12:11 PM
ok i found it now i got the 2 connectors off but how do you get the computer out?

i wanting to replace it since the anti theft stuck on the cav and i just gonna swap out the sunfire computer

but i dont see how its hooked up its tight fit in there

jdl
10-01-2012, 12:24 PM
My info says you remove the pcm from underneath. You safely raise and support the vehicle. You should take the negative battery cable loose before doing anything. Remove the right side engine splash guard. The pcm retainer has two bolts that you remove.

comet240
10-01-2012, 12:24 PM
and both cars the comp located same location but i dont see how u can pull the computer straight down is there a screw holding it or something?

comet240
10-01-2012, 12:32 PM
does it show where the bolts are or what size? i guessing the bolts are towards the tires?

also i pulled off both and forgot which color goes to the outside of the car

like blue or black as they both the same pin out but ill look for the bolts

comet240
10-01-2012, 12:40 PM
so i see the one bolt i guess its at the top inside the wheel well but you dont see another bolt

does the headlight have to come out to get access to the next one? any pictures?

jdl
10-01-2012, 12:46 PM
My database showed this. Databases are not always correct. I guess I'd have to look at it? Pictures below.

comet240
10-01-2012, 12:55 PM
ok mine kinda looks like the first one with bolt at top i got that one out on both ill look for the lower bolt

does your book or what not say which color blue or black goes into which plug i pulled them out thinking they by different pins but they arent just colors and i forgot

but oging to look for that other bolt now

comet240
10-01-2012, 01:11 PM
ok so i got them out database needs to be updated first you need to remove the horn then u can get better access to the bottom bolt but u need a 10mm ratchet wrench and elf sized hands cuz i have no idea how i going to get that bottom bolt back in but what about the plugs the blue and black ones

jdl
10-01-2012, 01:31 PM
My database did talk about the horn. I thought once you got at it, you could figure it out. I don't know about the colors you were asking?

comet240
10-01-2012, 02:18 PM
ok ya i got it in and stuff the colors are blue and black found it labeled on the other computer

there is 2 harness's that screw into the computer thats why and the one adapter has blue and other is black

so i did the change and the ignition

but the anti theft is still on why? is there another computer that controls this anti theft i need to change out and if so where is it?

comet240
10-01-2012, 03:12 PM
i also found out it could be the BCM thats bad or the instrument cluster

now is the BCM the same for sunfire and cav? as i know the cluster isnt i dont think one will plug into the other

jdl
10-01-2012, 05:05 PM
If the security system was the original problem, you should have checked for applicable trouble codes before you did anything.

comet240
10-01-2012, 08:04 PM
there are no codes shown this happened last year where the i guess orginally the radiator temperature sender tells the car its -40 and pumps more fuel into the engine and then turns a brand new (2 of them) cat's red hot on the intake side and then the engine missfired or what not and then the anti theft system came on after that and car has never ran since so now i had this 97 sun fire that blew the timing chain and well in end not worth fixing the head its another 500 bucks jsut to have that fixed so i wanted to swap parts out from the 97 sunfire into the 97 cav but still no luck

so what would bee the issue? and the code reader still doesnt read any code issues with the cav just the anti theft light is stuck on and using the bypass module from newrockers doesnt work they say its either BCM or intrsument cluster as its supposed to bypass the TDM

jdl
10-01-2012, 09:14 PM
I don't know, you could try a relearn procedure. Leave the key on till the security light goes out, if it will, may take about 10 minutes. If it goes out, turn off the key, then try to start. If your using some gismo to bypass the security system, I can't help you with that.

comet240
10-01-2012, 09:48 PM
i tried the key thing doesnt work i even swapped out now the ECM and key cylinder from a 97 sunfire 2.2 and the module thats behind the glovebox but no luck i have tried the newrockies bypass module but they say since thats not working for me its probably the BCM or the instrument cluster

if i knew how to hard wire this computer i would to totally bypass the TDM

and do you know wht the TDM looks like? id just replace it with the sunfire one

comet240
10-02-2012, 05:46 AM
i learned from another site a 97 doesnt hae a TDM its built in the IPC i guess the IPC is the dash read out?? with the tach and gas gauge etc?

J-Ri
10-04-2012, 09:38 PM
You can't swap out modules in GM vehicles with anti-theft. Each related module has the VIN number programmed into it, and it must match the VIN number in every other module or the car won't start. The only way would be to swap EVERY module, so the Cavalier "thinks" it's a Sunfire.

Also, you said you checked codes, but most code readers don't read P1xxx or Bxxxx codes, which is what the theft deterrent codes are. Unless your code reader specifically says it reads those codes, it probably just reads P0xxx codes.

comet240
10-05-2012, 06:21 AM
oh ic so i guess i better put the cars comp back in well thats a pain in ass i really like older cars lol
ya i dunno what mine can do i guessing just the standard stuff
my tool is this one
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoTools/AutoCodeReaders/PRD~0251010P/OBD+Scantool.jsp?locale=en

so much for being able to do it myself lol guess tow to GM how much they normally charge

Add your comment to this topic!