Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Estimates of current market values.

murraydeschot
09-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Original-spec Road Car
HDF-kitted Road Car
GTR converted to Road
GTR Short Tail
GTR Long Tail
LM
Longtail Road Car
XP

Any guesses/whispers? Shoot ...

murraydeschot
09-30-2012, 04:16 PM
No one? I ask as I noticed the suggested value of a Japanese F1 recently (I know I'll get berated me not knowing the Chassis No., but you guys are the guys for the nuances and intricacies of each individual car.) was listed at - from a speculative broker, perhaps? - 6,273,500 USD or 3.9 Million pounds, and the Octane Guernsey-registered car was mentioned twice in the article as being valued at 4,000,000 pounds. The same car?

Peloton25
09-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Sorry for a delay in responding - I was on an airplane half a day and then I was in a sleep coma for quite a long time afterwards.

It think it is impossible to create a price list like you'd be hoping for as so many of the sales that do occur happen off the radar. Also for the GTRs their individual valuations are going to fluctuate wildly based on race history, current condition, conversion for road use and several other factors.

The Japanese car is #029 and I'm not surprised by the price - I am only surprised it has been for sale now for roughly five years at ever increasing figures and still the owner doesn't sell despite several worthy attempts. I have not read the Octane article yet, but that estimate does sound somewhat high for #064, however, not tremendously so - maybe 20% at most. There don't seem to be other F1s on the market right now which could further the justification, and asking prices are just that as we all know. If someone wants one bad enough, they'll pay it.

>8^)
ER

mini magic
10-01-2012, 09:08 AM
I had a chart/graph going a while ago but it hasn't been updated in a while due to the lack of accurate info on sales

hurstg01
10-01-2012, 01:45 PM
The Guernsey car - #064 - was insured for £4m for the article. Insurers always play safe and insure for more than the cars worth. I'd say £3m+ for it

It seems #029 doesn't want to be sold, hence the high price; for an investment buyer to pay that for it they would have to hold on to it for a while [2+years IMO] to get any return. It would set a new benchmark for F1 prices however, the jump from what they are now to what is being asked may be too big a jump in the current market. Perhaps more sales of other F1's in between the current market price stepped to the current asking price of #029 may help but that may be a while coming, as like Erik states, there aren't that many being bandied around for sale at the moment.

However, If an owner is in a generous mood, I'd certainly take one off their hands for an agreeable [to me ;)] price; I'd even settle for a ride in one :)

Le Man
10-01-2012, 02:48 PM
To gauge prices better, can someone factor in inflation on the original purchase price twenty years ago till now. This will give a better idea on any fianancial gain on the F1,s value over that period of time. Cheapest F1 sale that I know off was 27R, it sold for around £250,000 at a Goodwood auction long time ago.

cabrio92
10-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Hi,

I agree with Erik, difficult to do a price chart. We can say GTR short tail are more expensive than long tail. Prices are high and can grow up but I think they need to be solid.
I add a question : for me, #01R is the most valuable F1, you agree ?

If you are aware of a road car for sale, please tell me, thanks.

Martin : Waouh, I didn't know that ! Incredible !

Peloton25
10-03-2012, 11:52 AM
McLaren have #064 for sale now. Inquire directly if interested but it shouldn't last long.

>8^)
ER

Le Man
10-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Hi,

I agree with Erik, difficult to do a price chart. We can say GTR short tail are more expensive than long tail. Prices are high and can grow up but I think they need to be solid.
I add a question : for me, #01R is the most valuable F1, you agree ?

If you are aware of a road car for sale, please tell me, thanks.

Martin : Waouh, I didn't know that ! Incredible !

I was just a little bit out on the hammer price of 27R :)

http://www.motorbase.com/auctionlot/by-id/132380692/

I would also agree that #01R is the most valueable, by a large margin over all others, doubt if McLaren would ever sell it, thats why Brunei have a replica. McLaren have been offered very large amounts for 01R, but still refuse to sell.

cabrio92
10-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Which amount Martin ;)

The biggest proposed amount for any F1 I was aware is 10M$

hurstg01
10-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Rumours of £30m (?)

dbsf1
10-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Rumours of £30m (?)

Which derivative of F1 was this for?

carbuilder2002
10-03-2012, 05:14 PM
I would suspect XPLM would probably be second in value ranking.

hurstg01
10-04-2012, 01:58 AM
which derivative of f1 was this for?

#01r

dbsf1
10-04-2012, 02:20 AM
#01r

So was that a rumoured offer?
It has never been sold... right?

Peloton25
10-04-2012, 03:09 AM
I think that is the number that they give out when you do the MTC tour based on an offer that was once turned down by McLaren.

>8^)
ER

mtbscott
10-04-2012, 02:35 PM
No offense intended to anyone on this thread, but I think making a "list" of current values for a car as rare as the F1 is kind of pointless. It's not like there's a BlueBook or KBB value set for them anywhere, a car like this is worth whatever it's worth to a potential buyer. I'm going to bet that known sold prices have not been linear and as Erik points out, especially on the race cars, provenance is going to affect the perceived value. On road cars, it's generally believed that any faults, problems, damage, etc can be fixed, for a price, by McLaren themselves, so there's not really much advantage to a low mileage garage queen versus one that actually gets driven regularly.
The most valuable car I have ever seen up close in person was one of the handful or original Ferrari GTO's that had just changed hands for over $20M USD. It was shown to our local PCA chapter during an open house at the local Ferrari dealership. The coolest thing to me was that it had current Texas license plates and inspection sticker.

jbmeyer13
10-05-2012, 10:22 AM
No offense intended to anyone on this thread, but I think making a "list" of current values for a car as rare as the F1 is kind of pointless. It's not like there's a BlueBook or KBB value set for them anywhere, a car like this is worth whatever it's worth to a potential buyer. I'm going to bet that known sold prices have not been linear and as Erik points out, especially on the race cars, provenance is going to affect the perceived value. On road cars, it's generally believed that any faults, problems, damage, etc can be fixed, for a price, by McLaren themselves, so there's not really much advantage to a low mileage garage queen versus one that actually gets driven regularly.
The most valuable car I have ever seen up close in person was one of the handful or original Ferrari GTO's that had just changed hands for over $20M USD. It was shown to our local PCA chapter during an open house at the local Ferrari dealership. The coolest thing to me was that it had current Texas license plates and inspection sticker.

I actually saw 2 250 GTO's at Limerock during a Ferrari event back in 2003/2004 and it was amazing. Both were being raced in an historic event!! Still haven't seen a Mac but hopefully will someday soon.

I think your assessment of values is spot on. A road car can be purchased and sent back to Mclaren to be restored to new condition (re-painted, new interior, HDK, etc.) and I think they tend to be more desirable to the collectors who plan to drive their cars as they are more user friendly than a road converted GTR. I would surmise that the non-converted GTR's see much less use and are desirable to "historic collectors" due to limited applicability.

It would be interesting to know the mileage of the fleet not to determine value but rather to know how much the owners actually use their cars. It's a shame when these wonderful machines spend the majority of their lives in a garage or museum.

cabrio92
10-05-2012, 02:49 PM
OMG

Just crazy if it is true because, it's an offer you cannot decline and McLaren declined it.

Probably higher than his real price.

BMW.WilliamsF1Team
10-05-2012, 06:50 PM
OMG

Just crazy if it is true because, it's an offer you cannot decline and McLaren declined it.

Probably higher than his real price.

If McLaren doesn't need the money, there is no reason to sell it. If anything, they should sell off other assets if financially they are shaky...you can't replace a car like that. If you're not in need of money and don't need to free up floor space, it never makes sense to sell anything. I hope they never sell it.

Add your comment to this topic!