Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2005 Yukon Denali starter replacement

Cusser
09-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Saturday, at the place up north, Mrs. Cusser's 2005 Yukon Denali starter suddenly went out (she was already trailred up and the horse loaded). When she cranked,battery voltage didn't drop much, and tapping the starter with a hammer freed it up.

Anyway, I couldn't figure out the easy way to disconnect the two wires at the starter, so I could unbolt it and then push it forward and up to remove it. I couldn't push the starter forward enough with the big wire still connected. I tried box wrenches, 1/4 inch drive, just no access to the wires (the two bolts were easy). Anyway, after almost 2 hours, I removed the inner fender cover (love those push-in, pry-off-without-breaking connectors) and then used 1/4 drive socket, adapter, 3/8 universal, and two extensions to get the 8mm nut off for the ignition switch wire, then similar with a 13mm socket to remove the nut for the heavy positive wire terminal. I used my little left hand to hold the socket in place as I turned the ratchet with the right. After that it was straightforward, installation the reverse, had to slip on the little heat shield after mounting the new starter. Yes, took me 15 minutes to find the dropped 8mm socket, was hidden on a horizontal cross member.

By the way, the bad starter gear was just floating loose on the little shaft, somehow had broken free or the spring had broken. Anyway, $190 for brand-new one, lifetime guarantee, as they have an AutoZone about 4 miles away.

So what's the trick to removing those two nuts for the two wire terminals? GM must've had a way in mind - I hope - to R&R these. Good thing I had most of my tools with me, would've been even tougher without those. So what's the trick?

Add your comment to this topic!