2001 Regal GS Low Traction Sensor

mahert1
09-24-2012, 02:48 PM
As I turn the wheel extreme left or right from a stop and lightly accelerate in reverse (mostly) the low traction light comes and I here a noise (it's like a pump noise but hard to explain). the ABS / service vehicle light came on once and did not come back on after I turned the car off and restarted about 30 minutes later. Is their something wrong with the brake system? What could it be?

GTP Dad
09-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Welcome to AF!!

You need to take the car to a mechanic and have the ABS scanned. I suspect that you have a bad wheel bearing that is causing the issue. The only way to actually tell which bearing is bad is to scan it with an ABS capable scan tool.

A bad wheel bearing on these vehicles will cause the exact symptoms that you mentioned in your post. It is not a hard change out with the proper tools but unless you are mechanically inclined I suggest having it changed by a shop. Cost of the bearing is around $150 and it will take a couple of hours labor. Good Luck!

Tech II
09-24-2012, 05:02 PM
No, sounds normal to me......different ABS systems act according to the way they are designed.....

In your case, when you accelerate, with the wheel turned, one wheel is turning faster than the other........the discrepency in speed during an acceleration, causes the traction control to activate, in your case the ABS pump is activating to slow down the faster wheel.....

If the ABS light comes on, a code is set.....need scan tool capable of reading ABS codes.....

gmtech1
09-25-2012, 07:57 AM
I'm gonna have to agree with both. In the situation that TechII is describing, this could be a normal condition. You stated that the ABS light came on, so there should be an ABS code stored. So as GTP Dad stated you need to have the code(s) checked. The GM "W" cars were bad about breaking the ABS speed sensor harness and those would usually show up as a problem on tight turns. Wheel speed signal would drop to 0mph and activate the ABS.

mahert1
09-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Thanks GMTech1

It does sound like the abs is activating when this tight turning condition exisits.

Add your comment to this topic!