Parking brake light

skykingatc
09-24-2012, 02:13 PM
My parking brake light goes on occasionally. It is the electric park brake. If I engage the brake I can hear the brake engage. Is this a sensor issue or do I just need new rear pads? Any Ideas

joegr
09-24-2012, 05:57 PM
You wouldn't happen to have an 04 would you? (There were issues with the 04 modules.)

I have also seen the parking brake act up when the battery starts to get too old. Another possibility (believe it or not) is that your DCCV could be starting to short out. Are you having any problems with the AC?

It's unlikely to have anything to do with your rear pad condition, but not impossible.

shorod
09-25-2012, 06:21 AM
When you say the light goes on, are you referring to the message in the message center or do you mean the red "BRAKE" light in the instrument cluster? If the red light, then keep in mind that this is not just for parking brake but also for the brake fluid level. You should check the level of the fluid. If it's low, you either have a leak or worn pads front and/or rear, so don't just add fluid to get the light to go out in that case.

-Rod

skykingatc
09-25-2012, 07:04 AM
Joegr, You must be psychic, or psycho, Either way you hit the nail on the head. I bought a new DCCV because the A/C wasn't working right and the code said it was bad. I just didn't replace it yet because I wanted to wait til I got home and had all of my tools available. Yes it is an 04 Lincoln ls. So if the dccv doesn't fix the problem I will look at the module. I did check fluid level and it was good.

Thanks for saving me a lot of aggravation. This is my first lincoln so I am learning all of the systems.

joegr
09-25-2012, 05:25 PM
When you say the light goes on, are you referring to the message in the message center or do you mean the red "BRAKE" light in the instrument cluster? If the red light, then keep in mind that this is not just for parking brake but also for the brake fluid level. You should check the level of the fluid. If it's low, you either have a leak or worn pads front and/or rear, so don't just add fluid to get the light to go out in that case.

-Rod

True enough. I assumed that he meant the yellow light on the parking brake switch.

Add your comment to this topic!