Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

02 safari Rear End- Done?

94&92Astro
09-21-2012, 07:57 PM
I have a 02 Safari with 190k - This is my fourth Astro/safari van I use for business. I never had any problem with the rear end until this one. Started getting that growl/hum about a year or so ago which got my attention but was out on a business trip this week when I noticed some loud and unhappy noises coming fom the rear end. Sounded like a grinding thumping sound and I was 200 miles from home of the van making it back. I jacked it up and put my ear to it and guessed it wasn't a wheel bearing or u-joint. I took it easy on the country highways and thought for sure the next mile was my last as the grinding and vibrations continued. But she held together and brought me home and I grabbed my tools and floor jack and popped the pumpkin off. It had usual amount of metal around the magnet but no big pcs like I was expecting. I cranked it up and put it in gear so I could trace the noise and it was coming from one of the differential bearings that held the drivers side axle. I could also see the axle through the drain hole and it seemed to wobble a bit (which would explain the vibration) I couldn't see any damage or other problem with any other component. Is this bearing something that could be changed or I am I better off with a JY replacement-- Sorry didn't mean for the post to be this long. Thoughts?

Blue Bowtie
09-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Yes, the carrier bearings can be replaced. You will need to check preload and adjust the shims as necessary. You will also need to check the contact pattern to determine how to split the shims between the two sides. If you are really lucky, the replacement bearings will have the same kind of fit and the shims currently aside the bearings will be close enough - If you are really lucky.

94&92Astro
09-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Yes, the carrier bearings can be replaced. You will need to check preload and adjust the shims as necessary. You will also need to check the contact pattern to determine how to split the shims between the two sides. If you are really lucky, the replacement bearings will have the same kind of fit and the shims currently aside the bearings will be close enough - If you are really lucky.
Thanks Bowtie--I appreciate your post. I obtained a JY rear end and spent two days installing it. Initial test indicate it is going to work fine. The JY replacement had alot of rust as it was kept outside so I figured something would be an issue. I had trouble connecting the rear u-joints because the threads in the yolk were rusted out. After losing my temper and throwing a jackstand down the driveway-- I went to the store and bought a tap and worked it until I was able to get the bolts in tight. I was going to just change the yolks out with the rear I took out but was afraid I would screw something up with the pinion gear? Getting ready to roadtest on a 200 mile jaunt--wish me luck. Not a bad job for the average DIY but air tools are a must, Thanks again I will report back with a short note if all is well.

94&92Astro
01-21-2013, 11:03 PM
Just a short note to close this thread--Its been 13k miles and the junkyard rearend is going strong-- I did have to replace the front u-joint because the vibration or something like it remained. I also tapped out the threads much better than I did before on the rear yolk. What is weird is one day while traveling the highways, the vibration just went away on its own and never returned. After all the blood, grease, sweat and tears, I was due some devine intervention. Van hit 204k today and due for another road trip in the morning. I found an 05 that will take its place shortly and will start on Astro/Safari #6 in Feb... Thanks to Blue Bowtie-Good night!

Blue Bowtie
02-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the update. Good luck in your search. These are becoming rare, and it seems that no one lets the good ones go.

Add your comment to this topic!