Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Lesabre Drivers side outside mirror problems

2buicks
09-21-2012, 07:14 PM
Hi guys! My 2002 Lesabre outside mirror glass appears to be going bad. When I first noticed it several months ago, it looked like maybe the previous owner had tint installed on it? I put this off thinking some day when I have nothing to do, I could try to putting some heat from the wife's hair dryer to see if it was tint. Tonite my wife comes home and said she couldn't see out of the mirror anymore and when I looked at it, the top portion of the mirror looks milky and the bottom portion has that tint color (distinct line running the width of the glass). Something strange, I noticed a rust colored substance has run down the side of the driver's door and it appears it might have come from the drain hole under the mirror housing. Don't know what this substance is, but it's hard to get off the paint. I only had polishing compound, but I need something with more grit to remove it the rest of the way! Any suggestions? Can the mirror glass be replaced or does the whole mirror assembly need to be replaced? Mind you, this mirror is heated so I don't know if something related to that has caused this problem. The passenger side mirror is perfectly clear.

If anybody out there has had this problem and can offer any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate hearing them. Thanks so much!

2buicks
09-23-2012, 02:19 AM
Okay, in a "google" search I found where the mirrors with the automatic dimming feature have an oil substance in the mirrors. I have not a clue of what made mine leak but the mirror glass has to be replaced. I found a couple of sites that sell the "fit-on" glass at a reasonable price and that is what I am going to try. Much easier and cheaper than replacing the entire mirror.

xs03mich
10-20-2012, 08:13 AM
Just thought I would add that yes the same thing happened to my 01 same side even. I ended up just taking the old mirror glass off and replacing it with a non heated regular mirror stick on mirror glass. About 20.00 fixed it. It has been just fine ever since.

BoB393
11-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Interesting mi 03 is doing the same thing! It's turning kind of orange.
I assumed the heating element stayed on and burned the silver backing.
Who knows?

Add your comment to this topic!