Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

04 2.2 Serp belt replacement/ Squealing issue

comet240
09-20-2012, 06:42 PM
hi i also working on my other car today as the serptan belt is smoking and the engine is squealing

now its a 2004 2.2 with the eco tec engine the Hayes repair manual shows nothing on removal of the serp belt the idler or the belt tensioner

so since it looks like you gotta drop the engine to work on this as its at the bottom

what is the procedure as i cant tell whats squealing if it is the idler or belt tensioner

i doubt its the AC since it squeals when the AC is off

so some help please be great you need small baby hands to work on this engine

comet240
09-20-2012, 07:19 PM
better look at it i guess has no idler wheel but i took the dirt covers off but still cant even hook onto belt tensioner

i guessing the upper engine mount has to come completely off?

comet240
09-20-2012, 07:56 PM
well u cant get the upper mount off well the top ya but the side that the told bolts into nope

so how the hell do you get a tensioner bar in there? mine does not fit the long bar is awkward so i cant get it in the little slot

who has tricks?

i didnt wanna cut this bar in 1/3 section but i guess if i have to i have to
cuz that engine mount bolt is in the way and u cant get the bar on it as its the same angle as the damn bolt frig

comet240
09-20-2012, 09:20 PM
ok so i got it off i broke it but i got it off

trick i used was u take a piece of two by for and a bottle jack and u jack up under neath i jacked too much and i cracked hte housing and the spring came out
but i noticed it still doesnt get loose enough for the belt to come off ugh

2nd way which might help everyone i found out after i tried is with the upper mount off and a bottle jack under the dog bone mount holding engine
i then lower the other jack that i used to jack up to take tire off and i let it down all the way this pushes the engine up and lets u take that 1 bolt out to use ur belt tensioner bar but at this point it was broken for me and u can take out the tensioner

now what i going to find hard is how you get belt on if it was still tight with the tensioner all the way up

but all i can do for now since i need parts lol and a ride to canadian tire

Classicrocjunkie
09-21-2012, 05:21 AM
End of a 3/8 socket and breaker bar. Push up a bit on the wrench without the breaker, then add the bar when you have clearance. it's a piece of cake and hardly anything running off the belt. PS , a/c, and alternator.

comet240
09-21-2012, 08:19 AM
how does that work a 3/8 socket? easier if i had a picture

like it was hard enough i ordered a new whole tensioner as i accidently broke it
i could hear bearings in the wheel so i guessing its bad nto sure wha a new one sounds like

ya i hope the altnerator and AC good the AC pully spins more freely then the altnator one

and installing it i know i still couldnt get it off when it was broken and all way up whats the trick to get it back on a screw driver?

comet240
09-21-2012, 01:08 PM
i finnally got it on and it was the idler wheel i find the new tensioner u can put the bar on with no problems the orginal tensioner u cant but i still wasnt able to get it enough to pry by myself so i had my mother hold the bar and belt was still tight i had to put a socket and ratchet on the crank and push the belt pn slowly as i turne crank damn pain in but i tell ya lol

Add your comment to this topic!