Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hobby shops in Indianapolis

sitwhiteysit
09-20-2012, 07:53 AM
I'm going to be in Indianapolis in a couple of weeks, and was wondering if there were any shops in the area worth checking out. I'm primarily a car builder, but I like some military stuff too.

GirchyGirchy
10-01-2012, 07:22 AM
I've only been to the Hobbytown USA on the southside near Greenwood. It's not too bad.

Adam Baker
10-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Spent a couple weeks in Indy last year, and found a couple good hobby shops. There are 4 total I think, 2 locals and 2 Hobby Towns. I never made it to the one in Greenwood that Girchy mentioned.

On the Northeast side, off exit 35 on I-465, right next to Castleton Square Mall, is a pretty decent Hobby Town. And a couple stores down was a very nice used book store where I was able to pick up some modeling related books pretty cheap.

On the east side, off I-465 Exit 42, Pendleton Pike, is Big Boy Hobbies. Personally I wasnt real impressed w/ this place, but that was just me. Still worth taking a look to see if you can find a deal.

The Hobby Town Gichy mentioned is south of town, take Hwy 31 south toward Greenwood.

On the west side is the shop I liked the most. Had a decent selection of everything, w/ what i thought were good prices. The shop is called Big Four Hobbies, its on Hwy 40/East Main St. Easiest way I found to get to it is to take Exit 12 off I-465, and just head west on West Washington St, which eventually turns into East Main St. The store is on the left side of the road. If I remember right, its in the same building as a gym, so its not hard to miss if you arent careful. There's a model club that I think meets here, so you might want to give 'em a call to see when they meet, if you're interested in trying to attend while you're there. I tried going, but just missed their monthly meeting.

Porsnatic
10-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Good to know, I'll be there at the end of this month for the Circle City Model Car contest.

Add your comment to this topic!