Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

oil pump???

toodirty
09-19-2012, 05:12 PM
i have a 98 chevy 2500 5.7l.Im not getting oil to my heads. i was wondering if anybody has heard of this happening. my oil pressure is 50 drivin 30 @ idle. so pumps workin at least half workin. do they go like that? or they work or they dont?
was hopin someone knows a trick or a test to run b4 i pull the pan. as you may know its a pain to do.
thanx dirty

Schurkey
09-20-2012, 03:31 AM
The oil pump cannot provide pressure to the sending unit, but NOT to the heads.

Either you've got no oil pressure at all; or you've got a blockage in the oil galleries that lead to the pushrods--or all the pushrods are blocked. The pushrods are fed by the lifters, so you'd either have 16 separate failures or the lifters aren't getting oil either.

Considering how common it is for the oil pressure sending unit to fail, I'd pull it off and shake it. Plenty of them have defective internal seals; the sending unit will slosh with oil and be very heavy. If so, replace it.

While the sending unit is removed for inspection, test oil pressure with a mechanical gauge.

j cAT
09-20-2012, 08:21 AM
i have a 98 chevy 2500 5.7l.Im not getting oil to my heads. i was wondering if anybody has heard of this happening. my oil pressure is 50 drivin 30 @ idle. so pumps workin at least half workin. do they go like that? or they work or they dont?
was hopin someone knows a trick or a test to run b4 i pull the pan. as you may know its a pain to do.
thanx dirty

how can you be driving with no oil to the heads ? explain whats going on with the engine . with no oil getting to the heads the engine should lock up. you will require a replacement.

how did you determine this ? time frame of this failure .

toodirty
09-20-2012, 02:37 PM
the sending unit is new, ill check it though.
. dont really know the time frame for failure. im guessing any driving w/o oil isnt good.
i think ill pull the pan and look around eh. what to u think?

toodirty
09-20-2012, 04:32 PM
well i pulled a valve cover blew some air checked a couple pushrods. looked clear.
so next ill pull intake & check lifters what a pain in the ass...

Schurkey
09-20-2012, 04:38 PM
well i pulled a valve cover blew some air checked a couple pushrods. looked clear.
Did you ever check for actual oil pressure?

j cAT
09-20-2012, 06:30 PM

with the valve covers off and the engine running what was the oil doing/going/flowing ?

why did you blow air on the rockers ?

also why do you think the engine is not pushing oil properly thru it ?

those pressures are normal 40-60psi.

with no oil flow that engine will lock up in 30 sec.

Schurkey
09-20-2012, 09:02 PM
with the valve covers off and the engine running what was the oil doing/going/flowing ?

why did you blow air on the rockers ?

also why do you think the engine is not pushing oil properly thru it ?

those pressures are normal 40-60psi.
I agree with this thinking.

with no oil flow that engine will lock up in 30 sec.
Remove the drain plug. Drop all the oil. Engine will idle til it runs the gas tank out of gasoline. You'd have to put a brick on the gas pedal to blow it up.

Oh, sure, there'll be damage...but the engine will RUN for a long time without oil. I have seen this first-hand.

j cAT
09-21-2012, 06:56 AM
I agree with this thinking.

Remove the drain plug. Drop all the oil. Engine will idle til it runs the gas tank out of gasoline. You'd have to put a brick on the gas pedal to blow it up.

Oh, sure, there'll be damage...but the engine will RUN for a long time without oil. I have seen this first-hand.

In his first post he says driving the vehicle. If the oil does not flow to the rockers with the engine under load with driving around this will quickly lock up. the higher the speed/load the faster the failure.

At idle [NO OIL FLOW]this is true that the engine can run for a longer time. The damage however will soon reveal itself as the internal metal temps rise and the metal gets damaged from lack of lube.

the poster is not giving the details with this issue .

Add your comment to this topic!