Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

85 Camry fuel pump

biggiantshane
09-18-2012, 10:49 AM
I just bought an 85 camry LE from a friend and am having trouble getting it started. He had put the battery in backward but all the fuses and fuseable links are good. It will start with starting fluid but die as soon as that wears off. I don't hear anything from the pump when I turn the ignition on, but don't want to drop the tank just to find out it is something else. Also changed out the fuel pump relay, and tried the jumper wire in that box behind the battery that is supposed to bypass something and make the pump come on. Any ideas? The car only has 45K on it and has sat a lot, but was running a few weeks ago according to him.

Thx, Shane

Mike Gerber
09-22-2012, 11:07 AM
I don't remember if you can get to the pump on this generation (gen 1 1983-1986) under the back seat but remove the back seat bottom cushion and take a look. It just lifts right up with a good upward tug with your hands at the bottom of the front of the cushion. Look for an inspection plate with 4 screws and an electrical connector going through it. If you can, have someone crank the engine while you test for 12 volts at the electrical connector with a 12 volt test light or a digital volt/ohmeter. You may have to remove the 4 screws in the plate to get to a point where you can probe the connector with the test light. If you get 12 volts there and the pump is not running, you know you have a bad fuel pump.

Mike

JOET/CAMRY
09-25-2012, 06:12 PM
I don't remember if you can get to the pump on this generation (gen 1 1983-1986) under the back seat but remove the back seat bottom cushion and take a look. It just lifts right up with a good upward tug with your hands at the bottom of the front of the cushion. Look for an inspection plate with 4 screws and an electrical connector going through it. If you can, have someone crank the engine while you test for 12 volts at the electrical connector with a 12 volt test light or a digital volt/ohmeter. You may have to remove the 4 screws in the plate to get to a point where you can probe the connector with the test light. If you get 12 volts there and the pump is not running, you know you have a bad fuel pump.

Mike

For the first generation Camry (1983 - 1986) there is no access to the feul pump by removing the back seat. :mad: The fuel tank has to be dropped to replace it. I know this from experience as I replaced the pump on my old 85 Camry.

JOET/CAMRY

Mike Gerber
09-26-2012, 12:59 PM
For the first generation Camry (1983 - 1986) there is no access to the feul pump by removing the back seat. :mad: The fuel tank has to be dropped to replace it. I know this from experience as I replaced the pump on my old 85 Camry.

JOET/CAMRY

Thanks for the correction. Now I'm glad I never had to replace the pump on my 86 Camry.

Mike

biggiantshane
09-27-2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks all, I found a pump online for $25 instead of the $130 that the autoparts stores wanted, took a chance that it was the problem and it paid off. Dropping the tank wasn't a big deal, the hardest part was draining the tank as it was full. Took about 2 hours to remove, install the pump and put it all back together. Runs like a champ now.
It only has 44K miles on it and I now have $425 invested in it. Not bad for a work car.

Mike Gerber
09-29-2012, 03:13 AM
Thanks for posting the final solution.

You might want to find out how old the gas is that is in the curently in the tank, considering you said the car has sat a lot. If the car runs OK on it I would run through this tank and add a good fuel injection cleaner in the tank at your next fill up.

Mike

DeltaP
09-29-2012, 07:08 AM
Dropping the tank wasn't a big deal, the hardest part was draining the tank as it was full.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
Seems like they're always full.

Add your comment to this topic!