Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 cavalier won't start

808RIPPUH
09-14-2012, 02:13 PM
I have a 97 cavalier Z24 that won't start. I was driving it on the highway and the heat gauge shot right up and maxed out. I pulled over and shut it off and now it won't start. It leaks coolant but not a whole lot. I have to refill it every 3 days. It turns over and I got it to start on the highway when I took out my air filter out but it just died when I took my foot off the pedal. Now it turns over but won't start at all. There's no weird noises when it turns over and you can hear the fuel pump kick in but it's just not starting. I hope someone can help!

-808RIPPUH

Tech II
09-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Disable fuel and spark, remove plugs and crank over......if coolant comes out the holes, that's your problem....

razr_88
10-24-2012, 02:59 PM
it sounds like you warped the head I would do a compression test and start from there. once you fix that problem b sure to fix the overheat issue too which is likely a thermostat or plugged radiater hose or something

SnF Services
02-18-2013, 08:59 AM
I have a 96 sunfire with a cavalier 2.2L just did timing tensionor was destroyed no comporession wont start HELP

Tech II
02-18-2013, 10:40 AM
If timing tensioner was destroyed, and you retimed the engine correctly, then you have might have bent valves or push rods.....

Leak down test would verify this.....

Add your comment to this topic!