2002 lesabre fuel gauge problems

2buicks
09-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Hi guys! My wife's Lesabre's fuel gauge acts up when it gets below 1/2 a tank. I did a google and see where many say this could be a faulty sending unit which is attached at the fuel pump. I have seen the access point in the trunk. How hard is it to replace one of these sending units? One article I read someone said he had to use two pairs of channel locks to loosen the pump? Is there a trick to getting the pump out and the pump back in?

You guys have been most helpful in the past, I would appreciate any advise you might have. Quality must be going down hill as my 1997 Lesabre's fuel gauge has never acted up! :)

maxwedge
09-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Not hard to do, access plate in trunk, upper r/s deck, careful working around fuel and fumes, when you pull it out you must tilt it some to clear the hole, this is a module one piece with the pump, expensive.

Tech II
09-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Max is right.....remove the spare cover and the carpetting......will see an oval shaped aluminum cover with 7mm screws...remove....then remove the fuel lines and the harnesses....now for the hard part......the lock ring.....special tool for it.....however, if it's the metal type, hitting the "ears" with brass drift or screw driver, and working your way around will remove it......then the module will tend to spring upward(better to do this when the tank is not full)......have rags read for a spill, because like Max said, you will have to tilt it.....then just a matter of replacing the sender(hopefully the wiring is plug and play, and that you don't have to make changes)......make sure there is no dirt around the opening, when reinstalling, and lube the new large o-ring for the tank(petroleum jelly)......believe there is an alignment tab, so it only goes in one way....then you have to push the module downward and catch the locking ring......then tap the "ears" until it is in the locked position....reattach hoses and harnesses....

When I do this, I have a pedestal fan blowing into the trunk....the fuel fumes can be quite strong....

2buicks
09-09-2012, 06:41 AM
Thanks Guys, I am running a little "gun shy" on this one. Don't cherish the idea of banging on the locking ring where there is gas involved. I checked the price of the tool for the retaining ring on ebay, close to $100. The wife is saying she can live with it but these kind of things drive me crazy. I can't let the dealership do it, they could smell the "CHA-CHING" before they even got started. Are the gas fittings hard to break loose or are they the snap-in fittings and do they require a special tool? Oh, and is the large replacement o-ring/gasket available thru GM parts?

Anyway, as in the past, thanks for all your help! I will let you know if I decide to tackle this one!

imidazol97
09-09-2012, 09:28 AM
checked the price of the tool for the retaining ring on ebay, close to $100.

Autozone loans a kit with tools for some fuel line connectors AND a brass drift and soft hammer for tapping the ring without sparks.

Are the gas fittings hard to break loose or are they the snap-in fittings and do they require a special tool? Oh, and is the large replacement o-ring/gasket available thru GM parts?

Here's a series of videos from Autozone about removing the pump assembly on a tank on a car where is is dropped for service.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgxPjGC_cBw&feature=list_other&playnext=1&list=SP87913BFB9EF73098

And here's one showing how the various connectors from different companies disconnect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfuYTjftkDo

imidazol97
09-09-2012, 09:30 AM
I'm lookiing at the same job. I have a replacement float contact to put in.

Does the O-ring have to be replaced?

Does anyone know exactly what kind of connectors are on the fuel lines? The video shows several.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfuYTjftkDo

maxwedge
09-09-2012, 09:50 AM
I got mine off with no special tools, the usual GM fuel line retainers, you will see when you get in there. If you can get a new O ring use it, I would lube the ring up slighlty to ease the retainer hold down installation.

stuzman
09-16-2012, 09:10 AM
Hi guys! My wife's Lesabre's fuel gauge acts up when it gets below 1/2 a tank. I did a google and see where many say this could be a faulty sending unit which is attached at the fuel pump. I have seen the access point in the trunk. How hard is it to replace one of these sending units? One article I read someone said he had to use two pairs of channel locks to loosen the pump? Is there a trick to getting the pump out and the pump back in?

You guys have been most helpful in the past, I would appreciate any advise you might have. Quality must be going down hill as my 1997 Lesabre's fuel gauge has never acted up! :)

I had the same problem on my 2000 LeSabre. I know a lot of people have just used a punch and hammer to get the retaining ring off. I tried the same thing and after about an hour of pounding, it would not budge. I ordered the tool to remove the ring and it takes a 1/2" drive extension. Even with a 1/2" drive pull bar, that sucker was really on there. After the retaining ring is removed, the rest of the job is a piece of cake. There are no special tools needed to remove the fuel and evap lines. Just squeeze the connectors and pull the lines out. Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!