Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

sub box size......???

CRXsk8er
06-05-2003, 12:15 AM
can sumbody try and figure out how big im gogin to have to make my box??

the first thing i would want to kno is if the box has to be the size it says or can it be alittle different......???

this is what shape it is goign to be i need to kno how high it has to be... with the shape of it, its hard......when you go to this site

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.j...ark_0&oid=71445

it says {for a sealed box the volume should be 1.25 cu. feet}

i want to build this box now so the back it done except for lights......but i need to kno how big to make it
i kno this is very confusing how i put it but if you can figure it out it would help a lot......thanks

the measurments in the pic ar ........6 inches........13 inches..........and 33 inches....

CRXsk8er
06-05-2003, 12:19 AM
i forgot the pic here it is.........

killah_xft
06-05-2003, 12:22 PM
well if that bottom piece is 6 inche tall, then the rest should just fit the subs, it'll be easier if you are building the box to make the sub mount piece first, and then make the back panel last.. that flat surface the subs mount on should only be big enough to fit the subs with a little room to spare, but be sure that your subs clear the back or your will have problems putting the back panel on..

killah_xft
06-06-2003, 03:40 AM
also I would suggest looking for sub box designs... each design has a different sound, or quality to it. I would really suggest buyinh a box, because then you know your sub won't blast it apart..

eckoman_pdx
06-06-2003, 04:02 AM
well, if each sub requires 1.25 cubic feet, then first off, make sure you put a divider in the box to separate the each subs enclosure in your box. Ok, if you are building your box outta 3/4 inch MDF, here is how the demensions of the sub box to make sure each enclosure in the box is 1.25 cubic feet internal volume. 14.5 x 34.5 x 14.875 (for long back) 6.75 (for short peice). This should make the internal voulme for each chamber 2158 cubic inches. it's,like 2 cubic inchs less than 2160 (2160= 1.25 cubic feet). Sorry its not exact, it's been a long time since I did this, so sorry I am a little off, but its a start. The basic formula for angled enclosures is higth (-1.5 for wall thickness) x width (-1.5 for wall thickness) x (top ( -.75 for thickness)+bottom (-.75 for thickness)/2)= internal volume (in cubic inches). Since 2160 cubic inches= 1.25 cubic feet, the space you need for each sub, you need 2.5 cubic feet total (1.25 per sub chamber). That should be the math, so you should be able to figure it out from there.

CRXsk8er
06-06-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by eckoman_pdx
well, if each sub requires 1.25 cubic feet, then first off, make sure you put a divider in the box to separate the each subs enclosure in your box. Ok, if you are building your box outta 3/4 inch MDF, here is how the demensions of the sub box to make sure each enclosure in the box is 1.25 cubic feet internal volume. 14.5 x 34.5 x 14.875 (for long back) 6.75 (for short peice). This should make the internal voulme for each chamber 2158 cubic inches. it's,like 2 cubic inchs less than 2160 (2160= 1.25 cubic feet). Sorry its not exact, it's been a long time since I did this, so sorry I am a little off, but its a start. The basic formula for angled enclosures is higth (-1.5 for wall thickness) x width (-1.5 for wall thickness) x (top ( -.75 for thickness)+bottom (-.75 for thickness)/2)= internal volume (in cubic inches). Since 2160 cubic inches= 1.25 cubic feet, the space you need for each sub, you need 2.5 cubic feet total (1.25 per sub chamber). That should be the math, so you should be able to figure it out from there.

shit thanks alot man i was hoping sumone would kno how to figure it out but that reeally helps a lot.......i ber makeing the box pretty soon....thanks again

eckoman_pdx
06-06-2003, 04:58 PM
shit thanks alot man i was hoping sumone would kno how to figure it out but that reeally helps a lot.......i ber makeing the box pretty soon....thanks again

UR Welcome:)

candlaudio
06-06-2003, 05:09 PM
well i build sub boxes and i can tell you that if the required space is 1.25 per chamber then if you want some deep bass then make it 1.5 per chamber. i know that isnt alot but you will be amazed at how much of a difference it is. and the reason i know this is me and a friend did a little test, we took 2 8" walmart specials that were 20$ a peice and built a box for them out of 3/4 mdf, each chamber was 1.0 cubic foot, and im gonna tell ya those 2 8's hit harder than i have ever heard an 8 hit before..... but i also built my box ( but later sold ) that has 2 sony xplod 12's in it and each chamber was like 1.5 and it hit like a mutha so if you can build it 1.5 and you will see that it will hit harder and deeper.

Add your comment to this topic!