Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hydraulic Slave Cylinder/Throw out bearing

19k40rocky
08-29-2012, 09:52 PM
I know this is the pickup forum but no one is answering in cavalier forum and I need to get this thing back together the first time I get a chance, so am really hoping for someone out there can help me. I have probably a dumb question but I have never worked on one of these before. I bought a 97 Cavalier with a busted 5 speed tranny so I could put together a cheap school car for my son. I got a used tranny from the salvage yard and a new clutch set. It came with a new slave cylinder/throwout bearing. I noticed when dropping the old tranny the throwout bearing/slave cylinder came apart/to pieces. I notice the new one has a little thin plastic strap on each side of it holding it all together. Here is my question: Do I leave the straps on and install the tranny or do I take them apart and let it expand? It looks like it would easily break free the first time you stepped on the clutch pedal. Like I said I have no experience with a manual transaxle or a throwout bearing set up like this. Any manual tranny I ever had before this had mechanical linkage. Any help getting me up to speed with the 21st century and out of the 60's would be greatly appreciated.

Add your comment to this topic!