2002 Explorer Oil Pressure Guage

Edward L
08-29-2012, 02:21 PM
My factory guage on the dash reads Zero. I have put on a mechanical external guage and it reads normal. Anybody got any ideas?

oldblu65
08-29-2012, 04:06 PM
My factory guage on the dash reads Zero. I have put on a mechanical external guage and it reads normal. Anybody got any ideas?
If a mechanical external gauge shows the appropriate pressure , then likely you have a defective engine oil pressure sending unit ( it's an electronic unit vs mechanical ) . It's about a $10 item at AutoZone and would be easy to replace if you have the slightest mechanical ability . The counterman ( or woman ) at AZ should be able to help you locate the switch on the engine and give advice on what will be needed to properly install the sending unit . Good luck !.

shorod
08-29-2012, 11:19 PM
And unfortunately, even on your 2002 Explorer, it's actually an oil pressure switch. You either get a display of "normal" oil pressure or a display of no oil pressure. I agree the switch is the likely culprit, especially since the mechanical gauge is apparently giving you a "normal" reading of at least 15 psi at 2000 rpms.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!