Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 a/c vibrations

puck2005
08-28-2012, 07:56 PM
When I turn on the a/c I feel/hear vibrations from the dash. Almost like a subwoofer - a solid note though. Shut the a/c off, the fans in front of the engine shut off and it sounds fine. Cooling fluid is fine. No noticeable shakes under hood. Any clue? thanks.

Tech II
08-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Check the compressor and it bracket....check the belt tensioner....

If ok, check the supply and return lines, that they are in their retainers....if ok, if this has a TXV instead of an orifice tube, it could be vibrating or possibly the evaporator is loose in it's bracket....

The key to determining this, is locate the source of the vibration.....try mechanic's stethescope.....

puck2005
08-29-2012, 08:35 PM
When I turn on the a/c I feel/hear vibrations from the dash. Almost like a subwoofer - a solid note though. Shut the a/c off, the fans in front of the engine shut off and it sounds fine. Cooling fluid is fine. No noticeable shakes under hood. Any clue? thanks.

The radiator fans continue to run after the engine is shut off. The vibration comes from that as the ac is shut off by then.

gmtech1
08-30-2012, 10:54 AM
If the vibration is there only when the fans are running, you have a blade that is out of balance. Either replace the blade or you can attempt to balance the blade yourself. Would be eaiser to just replaced the blade though.

J-Ri
09-03-2012, 07:49 PM
How many miles on the car? Has it ever been tuned up? Is the noise/vibration relative to engine speed?

puck2005
09-24-2012, 07:09 PM
I removed the blower motor and ordered a new one. not installed. Today the gauge said hotter than normal engine and started shaking. Car was in heavy traffic. No a/c or heat. Temp went down then car stopped shaking. If there is a fan blade out of balance - any tips on how to replace?? thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!