Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Diving Board sounds on bumpy roads?

onanboy
08-22-2012, 07:59 AM
Looking to confirm a problem.

I have a 1998 3.8L with 1995500 miles.

When I go over big bumps there is a sound from my right rear that sounds like a diving board after someone has jumped off.

I assumed that is was the rear struts needing replacements so I asked someone to look at it and I mentioned the struts. Of course they said I needed new struts all around. I accept that.

What I want to make sure is that replacing the rear struts will fix the diving board problem and that these guys aren't just saying struts because I said struts and they just want the $$.

Any one want to give me their take on the problem?

greasyhog
08-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Looking to confirm a problem.

I have a 1998 3.8L with 1995500 miles.

WOW!! ALMOST 2 MILLION MILES???? :grinyes:

bad struts would give you a clunking noise which I am assuming is your "diving board" sound.

onanboy
08-23-2012, 08:11 AM
Oh yeah, that's an error. I will be happy just to reach 200,000. Extra zero got me, should have used the comma and I would have noticed the error.

Thanks for the response. I will have the struts replaced. The only thing that bothered me is that the noise isn't really a clunking but more of a boinging.

Jeff Collision
08-23-2012, 08:23 AM
If it bounces excessively when driving rough roads or after hitting a bump, simply you need to replace the struts.

Add your comment to this topic!