Repairing/Replacing a trans from a 93 Regal

RVANC
08-20-2012, 02:58 PM
My old trans is out and on blocks in my driveway. It's problem was some pretty sever grinding that I originally thought was a wheel bearing. Getting under the car with it running and in gear revealed the noise was coming from the transmission on the passengers side near the end of the trans at the drive shaft. Question is, with the trans on the ground is this something I can repair myself?

If not then I will need to find a good used transmission. If any one could tell me what range of years and models GM cars has a transmission that would work with my 93 3.8 Regal Custom I would definitely appreciate it. The trans is a 4T60-E.
Thanks.

RVC

maxwedge
08-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Sounds like the final drive let go, a good used unit is the way to go here, any salvage yard has interchange info for your swap, they will need to know the trans code for final drive ratios, should be on the tag in the trunk under the lid or spare tire cover, look for the M code.

RVANC
08-21-2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks for this.

I found the M codes you mentioned which are MX0 M13 which according to my Buick factory service manual only denotes that it is a 4 speed automatic transaxle and it's a Hydra-Matic 4T60-E. That's kind of generic info. Will someone doing a search for another trans need more than that?

There is more info on the trans nameplate plus a long alpha-numeric number on a cast horizontal rib on the housing for the passenger side output shaft. There is supposed to be what the manual calls an SRTA tag on the trans close to the nameplate with additional info but that is missing, probably because the transmission in rebuilt. That was done a couple months before the PO gave the car to me.

I appreciate your help and the info you have given me. If there is anything else you think might be helpful I'd be glad to hear it. In the meantime I'll be searching for a new trans with the info I have. I'm beginning to wonder if the cost of the new rebuilt trans will be more than the car is worth.

RVC

maxwedge
08-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Look for an f code, like f79. Post back or google that code.

RVANC
08-21-2012, 06:54 PM
I'm not having much luck googling for F79 except for a couple references to a final drive ratio of 2.97. Is that what you are referring to? I assume this code is something I will find somewhere on the transmission itself.

RVC

maxwedge
08-22-2012, 08:23 AM
You misunderstood me, find the F code on the rpo label then google that for the final drive ratio.

RVANC
08-23-2012, 01:43 PM
OK, I'll be working on the trans this afternoon getting it ready to install. I'll put all three seals in but wonder about the filter.

My thinking is that the trans has sat up for a while (three years the guy said) and there is a lot of old fluid still in it. Should I put a new filter in now or should I run it for a while with the old filter but with new fluid as required and then change the filter and the fluid in a few days.

By the way the code was FW2 which indicates a 3.09 final drive ratio.

Thanks.

RVC

maxwedge
08-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Change the fluid and drain the convertor best possible, now.

RVANC
08-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Yes. The pan is off and the trans and torque converter are both draining. I assume you are suggesting that is sufficient and a new filter should be installed now as well. Is that correct? Should I run it and then drain the fluid and change the filter later, and if so how long?

Thanks, and I hope I'm not pestering you with what probably seems trivial questions. I've never done this before and I don't want any mistakes lousing things up. Lord knows this car can use all the help it can get.

RVC

maxwedge
08-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Listen, I've done this stuff for 50 years and still do, this is not a job you do twice, yes replace the filter. Make sure the convertor seal is in good shape while you have access to it, try and blow out the cooler lines and radiator cooler also.

RVANC
08-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Thank you.

Add your comment to this topic!