Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help, paint pulling w masking tape

rx7king
08-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Hey everyone,

looking for advice on getting paint to stick properly so it doesnt peel up w masking tape. I wash the parts w warm water and mild soap, prime w tamiya white fine surface primer, and in this instance airbrush w tamiya acrylics. In some cases the tape will pull primer up and everything. The black you see in pic is Zero paints. Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong? Here is a picture of my problem that is ongoing:

http://images49.fotki.com/v572/photos/7/1906267/10716442/aventador_43-vi.jpg
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

RonCla
08-19-2012, 06:06 PM
I would warm the masking tape with a hair dryer when your removing it as it softens the grip of the adhesive and makes it less likely to pull the paint off.

rx7king
08-20-2012, 12:22 AM
I would warm the masking tape with a hair dryer when your removing it as it softens the grip of the adhesive and makes it less likely to pull the paint off.

That is a great idea , thanks for the tip!

RonCla
08-20-2012, 01:28 AM
If your not already doing so, it also pays to sand the surface of the plastic before any primer goes down.

I usually use around #800 grit to take the shine off the plastic so the primer has something to grip to

stevenoble
08-21-2012, 05:42 AM
Try doing it the other way around and spray the Tamiya acrylic paint over the top of the Zero black. The Zero paint is much stronger than Tamiya acrylic and will not stick very well to it and may even melt it in some cases..

CFarias
08-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Try using a lower tack tape. I've had good success with 3M's blue painters tape which can be found at a local hardware store.

lemansnut
08-23-2012, 07:50 AM
What kind of soap are you using? Maybe it's leaving a residue behind. Are you letting them air dry after washing or wiping them off, could it be hard water deposit?

Mike

ianc911
08-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Sand the plastic first before priming to give it some 'tooth'. Wait at least a week after painting before masking to give the paint time to cure. Stick the tape to your jeans and pull off 4 or 5 times to cut the tack before masking with it. Don't leave the tape on any longer than necessary. HTH,

ianc

rx7king
08-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Try doing it the other way around and spray the Tamiya acrylic paint over the top of the Zero black. The Zero paint is much stronger than Tamiya acrylic and will not stick very well to it and may even melt it in some cases..

Great advice, I always just went by the thought process to put the dark over the light to make sure color stays the way it is meant.

As far as the type of soap I use, usually just whatever is by the sink and not a lot (hand soap sometimes) though I may still leave residue.

Thanks everyone for a lot of great tips really should help.

RonCla
08-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Great advice, I always just went by the thought process to put the dark over the light to make sure color stays the way it is meant.

As far as the type of soap I use, usually just whatever is by the sink and not a lot (hand soap sometimes) though I may still leave residue.

Thanks everyone for a lot of great tips really should help.

I would never use hand soap to clean your kit as its usually derived from vegetable/ animal oils and fats and could well leave a residue on the surface.

It would be best to wash the kit with a dish washing detergent which are formulated to remove grease and oils.

cjsbosox
08-27-2012, 08:06 PM
I would never use hand soap to clean your kit as its usually derived from vegetable/ animal oils and fats and could well leave a residue on the surface.

It would be best to wash the kit with a dish washing detergent which are formulated to remove grease and oils.

AGREED!!!
Also use it on hands before handling kit also

nugundam93
09-02-2012, 03:58 PM
i think i'm going tangent already but what about using toothpaste to clean up the surfaces before priming?

Zak9000
10-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Hi :I had the same problem, what I use is the Tamiya tape, is not to aggressive as other tapes and the most important , is not to leave the tape a long time there, always take it off as soon as possible, I hope this will help.

racer93
10-20-2012, 12:35 PM
If your not already doing so, it also pays to sand the surface of the plastic before any primer goes down.

I usually use around #800 grit to take the shine off the plastic so the primer has something to grip to
+1.

This goes doubly true for resin.

racer93
10-20-2012, 12:36 PM

I've started washing my bodies with Castrol Super Clean (unpainted, of course) to get rid of mold release agent. It works like a charm!

RonCla
10-20-2012, 05:45 PM
When I'm masking over another color I always use the narrowest width of tape I can get away with then cover everything else from overspray with plastic cling wrap and then as mentioned in my earlier post warm the tape with the hairdryer before removing.

Add your comment to this topic!