Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

90 Olds 88 Auto-Tranny slippage?

Grairaven
08-18-2012, 07:40 AM
When you first start the car there is a loud 'rattling' noise. From what we can figure out it's the air compressor pulley. (Gonna short belt it as the compressor doesn't even work and I have no intentions of fixing it.) Since this 'rattling' has been going on I've developed 'slippage' in my transmission (Not saying it's related but ya never know). Start the car, shift from park to drive / reverse, everything's fine. When you come to a complete stop, though, the car slips out of gear and acts like it's in neutral. Thing is, sometimes, if you can step on the gas real hard it'll go back into drive. Most times you have to either put the car in park, or neutral, then pop it back into drive before the car will go. Makes for a hell of a left turn during rush hour traffic.

It's driving me nuts, any suggestions on what it is and how to fix it? I'm all ears. Thanx.

maxwedge
08-18-2012, 08:10 AM
If the fluid is full this is an internal problem, you could change the fluid and filter but I believe that is not going to fix it.

Jrs3800
09-01-2012, 12:00 PM
I agree... Change the fluid and filter... If that changes nothing you are on borrowed time...

Add your comment to this topic!