Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replace Dipstick on Ford 2000 Windstar

Searles Lewis
08-14-2012, 12:55 PM
I have had the dipstick break off in the dipstick tube, and bought a new dipstick. When trying to pull the dipstick out, it broke off into the tube, then fell 2 inches down.

I have a replacement dipstick, and want to install it, but the other one is stuck, and magnets and other tools have not been able to fish it out. I think the dipstick tube is removeable, but cannot ascertain from the engine if it just needs to be muscled and popped out, or if there is a tab or something else that needs to be unscrewed first. any ideas?

olopezm
08-14-2012, 01:38 PM
I'm sure there is a bolt holding it by the front exhaust manifold, you should be able to see it easily but I don't know if there is anything else holding it at the lower end.

Oscar.

12Ounce
08-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Other than the screw, there is just friction holding the tube in place. The bottom end of the tube is slightly tapered for a good tight fit, and there is a stop-ring formed in the tube. The tube is pushed into the block until the stop-ring stops against the block port. It would be much easier if the oil pan were off and you had access to the bottom of the tube, which extends an inch, or so, inside the block.

Searles Lewis
08-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Other than the screw, there is just friction holding the tube in place. The bottom end of the tube is slightly tapered for a good tight fit, and there is a stop-ring formed in the tube. The tube is pushed into the block until the stop-ring stops against the block port. It would be much easier if the oil pan were off and you had access to the bottom of the tube, which extends an inch, or so, inside the block.

So just yank and that is it? Excellent, thank you both! I was so hoping that would be all!

I yanked, and nothing.

tomj76
08-14-2012, 10:57 PM
There's usually a rubber seal between the tube and the block. You might need to do some twisting to "break" the bond between the rubber and the tube.

12Ounce
08-15-2012, 06:57 AM
Yes, there is a bit of sealant on the tube. Twisting will certainly help. But I've had difficulty breaking these things loose even when I was driving upward with a hammer!

Searles Lewis
08-21-2012, 09:36 PM
There's usually a rubber seal between the tube and the block. You might need to do some twisting to "break" the bond between the rubber and the tube.

That explains it. Broke the tip off, now I have no idea to get that piece out of the block. I did go to a junk yard, and paid 29$ for the replacement dipstick tube, which still had the replacement sticker on it, and the #@$!%^& Windsheld wiper arm, which is more than autozone-and the worker there had quoted me 5$ for both, a ways back.

I think it must have a ball to make it pop in and stay, but that makes it impossible to get it out, I think.

any ideas?

I replaced the 20, 21, and 19 fuses in the relay block, and now EVERything in the car works better. They were not bad either, the "u" still okay, but now the LH door works, but my attempted "repair" has made the ropes or wires back up, and now everything in the car is brighter. It did have mud on fuse block end, and it worked liek crap. none of the relays were the problem, it seems it was the fuses I think I might get more of, and replace.

What a pain in the butt. I still have no idea how to get the tip out of the block, but I will enjoy stabbing it with the dipstick into the engine after I do. I will pretend I am anthony perkins, stabbing the engine, bwahahaha!

Any ideas, tip of the dipstick tube, out of the engine?

Searles Lewis
08-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Yes, there is a bit of sealant on the tube. Twisting will certainly help. But I've had difficulty breaking these things loose even when I was driving upward with a hammer!

Okay, that explains it. It twisted all over. Next time, I will buy it off the dealership. 25$, about what I paid anyway from the friggin arroyo seco boneyard guy. Except I would have been able to get a new part, not one I will have to clean oil and NM friggin dirt off of!

that's 12 ounce and everyone else.

Also, next time I have any electrical problem, including egr, I will just buy the big pack of 15 amp fuses, and replace all of them, and the red ones too. All of them in the relay block are going to be replaced tomorrow.

The lights are so bright in the car, I freaked out. It no longer acts haunted, either.

Add your comment to this topic!