Page updated on 11-18-2017

zero paints 2 k clear turning yellow?

tpliquid
08-13-2012, 09:19 PM
I bought some 2k clear form hiroboy and this is my first time using it. Im not sure if i mixed it right or not but some parts of the model have yellow some is crystal clear. Is it my mixing?

Tamm85
08-14-2012, 03:42 PM
(https://www.google.ee/search?hl=et&client=firefox-a&hs=DZ3&rls=org.mozilla:et:official&sa=X&ei=6qkqUKDoPJTT4QTt8YDoBw&ved=0CEUQvwUoAQ&q=Quantity+was+right+%3F&spell=1&biw=1920&bih=906)Quantitys was right ? did you mix it 2 parts clear, 1part hardener and 0,1-0,3 part thinner ?

darcyrossi46
08-17-2012, 07:09 AM
ive been using this for quite a while now with no issues of it going yellow.

the first time i used it i had some contamination issues, it is pretty sensitive to this.

i would guess either mixed in wrong quantity as previous post said or more likely contamination from either mixing beaker, pipette or from airbrush itself.

i make sure i always use brand new eveything when i mix it!

hope this helps

crisjr
08-17-2012, 08:21 AM
Do you have photos??.. I work only with automotive paints and what happen often is that when you work with models that the body comes in red is a reaction from the red tint used to paint the plastic.. to avoid this reaction i always use silver as base right after the primer to seal the red body, then you can apply the color chosen and later the clear coat.

btw .. what color are you using to paint?

tpliquid
08-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks guys.. I think it was a dirty airbrush + bad mixing. I cleaned everything up and did right mixature and now its all clear.

I was painting it on white surface before. All good now!

tpliquid
08-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Ok i got the problem again. I did mix everything correct. I got some parts turning green. I wonder if I spray too much on at once? I see some paint are being eaten up at some deep ridges. Its just showing original green plastic. Directions says 1 light layer before heavy layers. Should I spray few coats of light then wait for dry then go for the heavy layers?

Oh this is going over Tamiya TS spray can.

Im beginnign to think the green/yellow marks are from the 2k eating up the paint and showing the base plastic color.

sasmiha
08-23-2012, 03:52 AM
I guess I have some similar experience to share with you. It happened to one of my trial scrap car model, as the TS paint underneath was not fully cured causing the paint or plastic below show through. Though I am using different brand 2k clear, but I would say it was more probably caused by that. It turned out okay after I tried on a TS painted that have been fully cured.

Just my 2 cents :)

stevenoble
08-23-2012, 07:32 AM
May be a silly question, but did you use a good primer on the parts and allow it to dry properly before you painted the colour coats?? It sounds like the 2k is making the dye in the plastic bleed out..

tpliquid
08-23-2012, 12:18 PM
got it guys, i left it for a day or so, but i guess i need to leave it for few more days to cure. I will try again thx

Add your comment to this topic!