Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Passlock & '96 Lumina LS

wooleyes
08-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Because my car would intermittently start with the key (it would run fine if I jumped the relay at the starter) I just put in a new Autozone lock/cylinder in my old '96 Lumina LS. Prior to the install, I took the new lock/key and old key to the locksmith, who told me he has the tool to read the resistance on the key which corresponds to the computer in my car and I wouldn't need to go to GM. Also, the brake lights weren't working right so while I had the steering wheel off I replaced the turn signal switch too. I went to check to make sure the turn signals/brake lights worked before buttoning everything back up so I reattached the battery, with the key in the new lock; the dash lights came on, the chime went off as they should. I then put the ignition key in the 'run' position and the chime died and the lock mechanism will no longer turn and I get no lights at the dash. The car won't shift and I'm effectively screwed! FYI - The headlights and brake lights both now work but I can't turn the key in the ignition. Did I just get locked out? Did my locksmith hand me a line of bull? Is there any way around this? Thanks

Blue Bowtie
08-09-2012, 11:28 PM
You might want to verify that the flat cam plate on the lock cylinder has properly engaged the slot in the ignition switch, and that the lock cylinder latch tab is fully seated.

http://www.wwdsltd.com/files/LockCylinderAlignment.jpg

Tech II
08-10-2012, 11:37 AM
OK, first of all, if the key has a resistor, it's not a PassLock system, it's PassKey(also, the new lock cylinder will have a long wire harness).....and the special tool to read the key is just an ohm meter....

I assume you put the new key in the cylinder and turned the key a few times and removed it, before installing the cylinder, to make sure the key was ok....

If you did, seems like something wasn't aligned during installation of cylinder or you jammed something.....

However, since the key is stuck in the run position, you will have to take everything apart again.....remove the key in ignition contacts, and remove the torx screw holding the lock cylinder in.....since it is in the run position, it should pull out....you might have to create some slack in the white wires, to remove the cylinder.....

Since you have the air bag off and disconnected, just create enough slack in the wiring to the lock cylinder, so that it can be removed from the column.....look inside to see if there is something in there that shouldn't be.....now stick a large screw driver in the column to rotate the mechanism....rotate to accessory(radio should power up), then off, then run, and then crank position(if the resistor key is in the lock cylinder, the car will start when in the crank position)......

wooleyes
08-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Sorry for not knowing the "buzz words." I don't do this for a living. Anyway, the fix was this - the cylinder is a cheapo from AutoZone and the key wasn't seating all the way. Apparently there's a pin inside that is better quality on OEM replacements as opposed to the unit I have. No worries there. I have to be frugal as this car has over 250000 miles on it.

Thanks for your help!

dntchke
08-20-2014, 08:11 AM
look to getting a new ecm and having chevy pair the keys for you. Keep having this problem in a trailblazer and durango

Tech II
08-20-2014, 08:49 AM
?????????????

Check the date....

Add your comment to this topic!