Page updated on 11-19-2017

critique my wheel design plz

tpliquid
08-09-2012, 01:28 AM
So finally getting to finish my rosso NSX build. I needed wheels but there werent any 1/12 scale wheels available and now the introduction of the tamiya enzo in 1/12 scale kit form. I can get my hands on the brakes and tires off the kit.

I took 1 solidworks class to learn some basics so this is a basic design wheel that I would like to get 3d printed and installed on the NSX.

Let me know what you guys think , what should I change on it?

edit: Oh i still need to make it 2 piece look.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/391302_10151165172228035_2109320814_n.jpg

ZoomZoomMX-5
08-09-2012, 09:03 AM
The design looks good, but be careful of the "retaining lips" on the wheel for the tire. Usually they're only on the inside or outside, not both, and you don't want interference to make mounting the tires difficult; with both lips you run a risk of an odd space between the outer wheel lip and the tire sidewall, also this could distort the tire making the tread area too rounded in cross-section.

I'd design the wheel lips exactly like Rosso or Tamiya, depending on the tires you actually use.

roymattblack
08-09-2012, 11:51 AM
What type of 3D printer are you using???
We have a good one at work, but the end result, although incredibly clever, isn't of a high enough standard of finish to use as 1/12 wheels.
Also, the material is very brittle and certainly wouldn't stand up to having rubber tyres stretched over them.
Do you intend using them as a master for a resin mould?
Roy.

tpliquid
08-09-2012, 12:45 PM
thanks for the comments. I will need to redraw the barrel to tamiya spec once I get my hand on those tires.

As for the 3d printing, I plan to drop it off at a local shop here in my city. They can print 10microns so I hope its good enough resolution for these wheels. I believe they use ABS for the printer. What type of plastic do you use Roy?

I dont think i will make them as a master mold since I dont think many people have the rosso nsx kit or will like the design

Add your comment to this topic!