Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

No power steering

Yakman01
08-05-2012, 12:39 PM
....after changing a leaking pressure feed hose and the pump. Pump was changed as it was squealing pretty bad with correct fluid levels. New parts are from Toyota, with over 200,000 on the originals I might as well stay the manufacturer if they lasted that long!! After the change out, I see no leaks and fluid levels are correct. A "friend" (read loosely) said that when the PS pump goes it usually takes the rack and pinion too. Tell me he is idiot I think he is and give me some pointers!!!

Joe W
08-05-2012, 10:41 PM
More than likely there is air in the system and it needs to be bled. Turning the wheels lock to lock usually is enough to purge the air from the system. If not look for a bleed valve and hook-up a hose to a drain pan, repeating the wheel lock-to-lock while ensuring that the fluid level is still in the reservoir.

Yakman01
08-06-2012, 08:30 AM
I'll do that again.

Joe W
08-07-2012, 12:27 AM
Could you please elaborate? The lock to lock is obvious but have you located the bleed valve?

Yakman01
08-07-2012, 07:51 PM
No bleed valve that I can see. Ideas???

Yakman01
08-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Here's an update....life gets in the way sometimes so the car sat for 4 days before I could get back to it. I start the car on Friday and I have power steering! Drove the car for a few miles and all is good. Then today a little longer trip no power steering after a 10 mile drive, 20 mintues later it's back. Out again and staying out. WTH?!? No I did not bleed anything, no changes. I plan on bleeding the system later this week.

Joe W
08-16-2012, 11:26 PM
Have you been able to bleed the system yet as this appears to be an issue relating to air in the lines. This could very well cause an intermittent problem... just out of curiosity... what condition is the P/S belt?

Yakman01
08-17-2012, 05:37 AM
Brand new belt. As for bleeding the system I have checked here and on a Toyota forum. Both, from what I can find, in one form or another, say to turn all the way each side and hold for 3 to 5 seconds with the car running. I have done this with the car on jack stands and on the ground. Seems to happen more as the car warms up. Thinking I need to bleed it more, take more time. :banghead:

famlycar
08-17-2012, 11:58 PM
my corolla has been squealing for over a month now so turning the steerings left and right didn't help. I may have to drain all the fluid and add some better brand or something. I wonder if transmission fluid would work in there?:confused:

Add your comment to this topic!