Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Toyota Corolla stalls at lights

Lorelei2001
08-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Hi, I have a 98 Toyota Corolla, manual transmission. When I come to a hard stop, or make a hard turn, the engine either stalls or almost stalls. I've had it serviced lately with new plugs and wires, oil change and fuel system cleaning. The engine idles fine when you start it and are just sitting there. The problem seems to come with stopping hard or turning while quickly slowing, when the clutch is engaged. If I am able to hit the gas I can keep it running and then it runs fine. Help!

studdly
02-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Hi, I have a 98 Toyota Corolla, manual transmission. When I come to a hard stop, or make a hard turn, the engine either stalls or almost stalls. I've had it serviced lately with new plugs and wires, oil change and fuel system cleaning. The engine idles fine when you start it and are just sitting there. The problem seems to come with stopping hard or turning while quickly slowing, when the clutch is engaged. If I am able to hit the gas I can keep it running and then it runs fine. Help!

what it sounds like to me is either the fuel filter is plugged up, starving the engine with fuel or the throttle body is to much carbon build up. best thing to do is remove the throttle body and use carb cleaner, ..good luck

Brian R.
02-02-2014, 02:12 AM
I'm sorry if this is obvious, but do you push in the clutch sufficiently early before your slow down? If you don't disengage the clutch early enough, you lug the engine and will cause the engine to almost die. The same holds for when you go around a sharp corner. You have to disengage the clutch and downshift around a slow corner to prevent lugging your engine and almost killing it. :dunno:

What you describe is normal if you lug your engine under the above conditions. Perhaps your clutch is not disengaging completely. Check the fluid level in the reservoir.

Add your comment to this topic!