Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine rebuild with intermittant knock

jake1ekaj
08-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Gents,

I just rebuilt the motor in my 96 1L Metro. It fired right up after I figured out it didn't have any gas in it. Dohhhh. After running for about a minute it developed an intermittant knock. It lasted for a bit and then went away. Like tapping a wrench on something metal. I assembled it with plenty of that red gooey lube on the cam and lifters and oil else where. Does it just take a bit for the lifters to "pump up"?

BTW,..the internal parts were DNJ. I got the lifters from partsdniosaur.com. When I was installing the lifters, one of them was out of round by 0.005" He sent me another to replace it. They cost $10 something each. Is this a case of you get what you pay for? Cheap and low quality??

BTW part 2, It was getting to dark to do much else (no garage) and I have yet to time it. Could that be a source of the problem?

Jake

jake1ekaj
08-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Well today I timed it to get it in the ballpark and then took it out for a drive and was quite thrilled with the marked increase in "power". Before the rebuild it had 80 psi compression avg. I drove it maybe 20 miles and then timed it again. It still has the intermittant tap knock, ping whatever you would call it.

Time for new lifters already?? As I said before, I got the cheap lifters from partsdinosaur.com Has anyone had problems with them before?

Add your comment to this topic!