Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Belt Issues?

OroAuto
07-30-2012, 06:25 PM
Whenever I turn on the air or heat it screeches loudly.
Also sometimes when I first start the car it does the same thing, but only for a second.
I've checked out both belts (One is attached to the AC and then the other goes around everything else.) Both look good to me. I'm no professional but when I checked them I didnt notice any cracks or wet marks (oil slicks) on either.

I did notice that while idling the tensioner does move a little bit, not violently but noticeable and when I push on the belt it does seem to be a little loose.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

j cAT
07-30-2012, 07:15 PM
I just did a job like this on a 1996 impala LT1 engine. belt squeal on start up then the squealing would quiet down when the engine got hot.

this was the tensioner. what happens is the tension is no longer constant as the component is worn and is binding. a hardened worn belt would also cause the same noise. I would try a new belt then replace the tensioner.

a tensioner with this type issue will quickly damage the belt.

Joe W
07-30-2012, 10:43 PM
I can't remember if the A/C belt has a tensioner, but this appears to be the main issue. However if one belt is worn the rest follow suit. When replacing the serpentine, this should include replacing the tensioner.

OroAuto
08-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Yeah I noticed when I looked online for a new belt tensioner they sell one for both the main drive and the AC drive.

Would it be smart to just replace the main drive tensioner and belt and see if that fixes the problem and if not go buy the AC tensioner and belt?

j cAT
08-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Yeah I noticed when I looked online for a new belt tensioner they sell one for both the main drive and the AC drive.

Would it be smart to just replace the main drive tensioner and belt and see if that fixes the problem and if not go buy the AC tensioner and belt?

with two belts you would remove the ac belt then see if the noise goes away. if so then the ac belt and tensioner should be replaced.

if the noise does not change then the main engine tensioner/belt would be the cause..
belt noise is hard to determine without the removal process.

Joe W
08-03-2012, 11:14 PM
A usual course of action is to replace a tensioner when replacing the belt, as the tensioner is usually the original failure part... and both are prone to a similar failure rate.

Add your comment to this topic!