Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rain! Finally rains and shorts out.

wormfriskie
07-27-2012, 10:50 AM
I was taking my '94 Caprice to work yesterday morning in the rain, when my headlights started to flicker, then the car died. I lost everything electrical, but the starter and the change oil light, which is on constantly. When I turn the key in the ignition, nothing turns on which means no fuel pump, but car still cranks over. I have checked alot of places for a loss of power but can't find anything. All fuses are good, fusible links are good, unless I am missing checking one somewhere. Battery keeps draining also, but I don't think it is just draining from the check oil light being on. Drains quick too. Any ideas? Never had this problem before.

wormfriskie
07-27-2012, 11:03 AM
Ok, I just found that my negative battery cable ground has fried. What would cause this?

j cAT
07-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Ok, I just found that my negative battery cable ground has fried. What would cause this?

loose corroded connections will melt and totally destroy the connector/batterypost.

you should see what happens when higher DC power systems with a couple hundred amps have this issue.

with your vehicle also check the battery feed wire at the under hood fuse box passengerside . this also loosens and does a meltdown.

96capricemgr
07-27-2012, 08:58 PM
There was a service bulletin on the 94s for the Aux. terminal at the underhood fuse block, the stud was zinc and the bulletin is to change it to the brass one they used later years. That melting has burned cars to the ground.

wormfriskie
07-28-2012, 09:10 AM
I fried out the battery to starter wire, the negative battery wire, the negative battery ground, and the engine to chassis ground. The auxiliary positive was non conductive. I replaced all of these, and I am getting absolutely nothing when I turn the key. Battery has a charge. I am slowly working my way through everything to find another short. Ignition switch maybe?

j cAT
07-28-2012, 09:25 AM
I fried out the battery to starter wire, the negative battery wire, the negative battery ground, and the engine to chassis ground. The auxiliary positive was non conductive. I replaced all of these, and I am getting absolutely nothing when I turn the key. Battery has a charge. I am slowly working my way through everything to find another short. Ignition switch maybe?

using a meter check for the voltage at the under hood fuse box.

check for voltage at the fuses

wormfriskie
07-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Got it started, ran for about a minute then died. Battery was drained. Alternator?

j cAT
07-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Got it started, ran for about a minute then died. Battery was drained. Alternator?

placing a positive voltage to the alternator output should result in no current flow. place an ohmmeter across the output terminal to ground[REMOVE WIRES TO IT ] it should be open . if it reads some amount of resistance then the output diodes are shorted out. this can occur if the battery/system had a short circuit to ground which would overheat these diodes.

ANOTHER TEST remove alternator output wire [TAPE IT UP] then with the battery charged start the engine. check for 15 volts at the alternator output.

IF the alternator is damaged do not buy a rebuilt alternator. I recommend a new alternator or get a scrap yard one for cheap. depends on how long you intend to keep this.

I DO NOT USE ANY REBUILT ALTERNATORS VERY POOR WORKMANSHIP AND TOO MANY ISSUES.

wormfriskie
07-29-2012, 03:04 PM
New alternator in, a quick jump, runs great and charges. Thanks guys.

j cAT
07-29-2012, 05:01 PM
New alternator in, a quick jump, runs great and charges. Thanks guys.

good luck .

Add your comment to this topic!