Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 PA-Locate Knock Sensor

ellev8or
07-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Greetings to all,

92 PA with 123400 miles and received a 'Check Engine Soon' code of 43 (Knock Sensor). The Chilton General Motors repair manual from Auto Zone states the knock sensor is located under the throttle body. I did not see it. Can someone please direct me to its actual location.

I've changed spark plugs, spark plug wires, o2 sensor, and coils, and theirs still a little hesitation during idle.

Also, do I need to do anything prior to or after replacing the knock sensor? Once installed how do I clear the code?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

HotZ28
07-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Is this a base PA, or an Ultra? The knock sensor is located about half way down on the lower block, back side. Before replacing the knock sensor, you should disconnect the negative (-) battery cable to clear the code and drive it some more to see if the code comes back. Very seldom does a knock sensor fail. There could be other reasons for the code 43. BTW, code 43 is detecting a problem with the Electronic Spark Control (ESC) Circuit which is in the ICM, not the knock sensor.

Tech II
07-26-2012, 07:44 PM
HotZ, it is the knock sensor circuit.....anything in the circuit can cause the problem, knock sensor, wiring, etc.

could even be an engine noise affecting the output of the sensor...

ellev8or
07-26-2012, 09:26 PM
@ HotZ28: because of the knock sensor's location would it be easily accessible if I use a lift or can it be reached from the top side of the engine? The PA is a base model-sorry I didn't mentioned it earlier. Thanks

@ Tech II: Thanks

HotZ28
07-26-2012, 10:40 PM
The knock sensor would be be more accessible from the bottom, which would be more available while on a lift. I would agree, that any part of the circuit could be the fault, but most common issue is in the ICM.

Add your comment to this topic!