Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tamiya F2001

dynosam
07-25-2012, 04:47 AM
Hi guys,

I have just ordered the tamiya F2001, with the SMS photo etch set and the SMS carbon fibre set.

Does anyone have any tips or difficulties with building this kit.

Thanks

Sam

NewTom
07-25-2012, 05:31 AM
Hey Sam,
I did build an F2001 with SMS CF decals and I did have some trouble with it.
Others might see it differently or it could have been my lack of skills but for me NONE of the CF templates fitted properly.
You should check them before apply it! make sure they fit!!
a few pictures of my built: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=929710

Good luck! T

Entau
07-25-2012, 05:33 AM
Hi, i had not built the F2001 kit, but if you are still a beginner in model building, i really don't encourage you to try photo-etch parts, some parts are extremely tiny :icon16: and require more accurate modeling skills, they are not fun at all when you are not ready yet. :)

dynosam
07-25-2012, 05:53 AM
Thanks, I built the fxx with the photo etch and I have used other sets so I am quite confident about it but thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the info on cf Tom. I hope that i wont have the same problems as you. Yours still looks really good though.

I am really looking forward to learning a lot about big decals and smaller photo etch pieces. If it comes to it I will not redo my templates because I do not want to ruin the whole thing.

racer93
07-25-2012, 11:48 AM
A couple of things to keep in mind or do when working with SMS decals:

1. Use a brand new #11 blade to cut. MUST replace after 5-10 cuts. No joke--the metallic inks used dulls these VERY fast.
2. If they don't look the freshest, brush on a thin coat of Future onto the decals BEFORE cutting them out of the original paper backing. When this dries, it will prevent any cracking that may occur.
3. If you use Micro-Set and Micro-Sol, use Set first and THEN when the decal is in it's final position, use Sol. (Hairdryers work wonders for making CF decals fit to curved/uneven surfaces.) Sol will pretty much melt decals, so you don't want to move them after using it. Use it sparingly and when you KNOW you won't need to move it.

I've been working with SMS decals for nearly a decade and have learned many, many lessons. They are great but can be finicky. Heck, if you want to make your own templates, just use scotch tape and an xacto blade over whatever surface you want to cover. Voila! Done. It's a lot easier than people think...plus you save !$10! ;)

Add your comment to this topic!