Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Nissan Pick-up XE won't hold a charge.

adiobampro369
07-23-2012, 08:05 PM
I have replaced the alternator and battery. Both brand new. I took the alternator out and had it tested and it's get 14. I bought a new battery that was a slight upgrade that put out more amps. But when I have someone hook up a volt meter it drops to 12. As soon as I turn on the headlights or radio it starts to drop. I can put the battery on a charger and it will run til it kills the battery. I don't know what else would make it not take a charge. My ground and positive are all tight on the battery and alternator. Please HELP!

dripper
07-30-2012, 02:01 PM
i have a 1997 nissan pickup 2.4 liter i had to replace my alternator twice had to get one from nissan dealer something about after market.

Bob Barry
01-05-2013, 08:39 AM
Pull all your accessory fuses see if something is pulling it down. Sounds like something is shorted (bad -running etc)
if nothing found then
Check the key switch, I found it can cause simular issues.
then if no luck your going to have to find a short..
question - did you install anything electrical recently? Then check that out

Cw123
02-02-2023, 08:29 AM
Hi, you ready? Rock and roll...Take the plug on top 12 oclock, 2 blade terminal connector loose. Squeeze tab.
Fyi pls remove neg cable from battery first...my bad.
Any way, Is all your battery wiring factory or no?
If it is I have a bit more little changes 4 ya. But to get it charging usually its the pigtail connection . It will feel snug but it aint, Trust me bought mine new in 1996, and took me 17 years to figure it out.nit will lock in place but teinals dont make constant connection. I got 2 single spade connectors, solder on upgraded gauge wire, heat shrunk em, and they fit so dang snug need needle noes to slide em on. Make sure you put them on the right connection point. If this isnt your deal I know every part in that system, so if u want to know more., No prob
Also if the warning light Batt, or charge, think its Batt, bulb does not light up with key in the second position, and the bulb is out your system wont charge. Ikr? So if you dont see that light , light up, when you start up,and then go out once your started up. Get a bulb. There is also a batt warning light relay, or switch, located all by itself on drivers side fender, just forward wiper washer reservoir. Theres more, but try those and i try to look backsee if ur yay or nay...good luck

Add your comment to this topic!