Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Keyfob remote only works if I'm next to my car?

dorlow
07-20-2012, 08:54 AM
I have a 2004 Impala with 140,000 miles on it. I've owned it since brand new. I noticed the last few weeks, I need to stand right next to my car to lock or unlock the doors with the keyfob. When I first started noticing it, I though obviously it's the battery. The battery in the keyfob is now 8 years old or so. I bought a brand new battery and replaced it, but the problem didn't go away.

So, now I'm wondering is the keyfob itself bad? Or is it common for this problem to be caused by something else?

You know, I just got to thinking, recently I bought a new FM modulator for my iphone and it's interfered with my GPS (built in the iphone) and cellular in the iphone. After monkeying around with the fm modulator for a day or so trying different frequencies, I found one that didn't interfere with all that stuff. I wonder if that being on all the time is somehow near the frequency of the door locks... I just thought of that at this moment. I'll have to check that.

But does anyone else have any other ideas?

danielsatur
07-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Consider buying a new Key fob from Ebay.

dorlow
07-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Forget it, I answered my own question. It is the FM Modulator causing the interference making my keyfob not work. I just unplugged it and I am able to walk quite far from my car and it works fine.

It's amazing the last FM modulator I used I just randomly picked a channel and everything worked no problem. With this one, it seems like no matter what channel I pick, it interferes with something.

I don't know if I'm willing to go back though. The last one was a generic FM modulator that just used a miniplug to feed from my iphone. This new one mounts the iphone and plugs in through the dock connector and feeds the audio at line level and sounds so much nicer. But the interference is getting annoying. I guess I haven't tried every channel. I'll just have to keep tinkering with it.

rkvons
07-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Why don't you have your modulator controlled by your ignition so that when you remove your key, it powers down?

dorlow
07-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Where do you get something like that? I've heard of cars that the cig lighter turns off when the key is off. So, if I had one like that, then when I turned off the car, the modulator would turn off.

rkvons
07-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Where do you get something like that? I've heard of cars that the cig lighter turns off when the key is off. So, if I had one like that, then when I turned off the car, the modulator would turn off.

I think it would require some investigation in your dashboard area. Your radio, for instance, is controlled by your ignition. You would have to pull it out and locate the power to it, and tap into that.

danielsatur
07-26-2012, 08:34 PM
One cigar lighter is a hot 12volts all the time, the other 12volt socket works with the ignition key.

Try looking for the other cigar lighter socket.

SierraK1500
08-03-2012, 07:22 PM
since the cigarette lighter is hot and the aux power jack is hot also, you will need to unplug it when you leave the car. The key fob uses a radio signal to connect to the radio in the car or another module. The modulator caused second and third harmonic signals which disrupted the fob.

Good luck to you.

John

sourjacks
11-01-2012, 09:51 PM
When having issues with remotes from a distance, it helps to touch the remote to the bottom of your chin while pressing a button. This seems to buy you a little distance. I get crazy looks when I tell people this, but I heard it somewhere a couple years ago and found that it works for me?!

Add your comment to this topic!