Page updated on 11-20-2017

Yellowish old decals!

Zonic2001
07-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Is there a fix to old yellowish decals that seem to be old? Not the entire package is damaged but I would say about 1/4 of it is. Let me know of any fixes. Thanks for reading my post.

Zonic2001
07-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Got my question answered... expose it to sunlight. Thanks!

exhaust smoke
07-16-2012, 11:27 AM
I've heard (and tried) that bleaching the yellowed decals with natural sunlight helps. In my experience, it helps to reduce the yellowing, but here in the UK, there is not that much sun :grinno:

Be careful not to leave it too long in the sun if there are red colours, as the sun will bleach these also!

Zonic2001
07-16-2012, 02:32 PM
I've heard (and tried) that bleaching the yellowed decals with natural sunlight helps. In my experience, it helps to reduce the yellowing, but here in the UK, there is not that much sun :grinno:

Be careful not to leave it too long in the sun if there are red colours, as the sun will bleach these also!

yeah the decal set has a lot of red. What should I do then?

exhaust smoke
07-17-2012, 11:37 AM
yeah the decal set has a lot of red. What should I do then?

What I did was to expose the decals to the sunlight, then check it at regular intervals. I think red only bleaches when it is exposed to ultraviolet light in the longterm.

Zonic2001
07-17-2012, 02:06 PM
What I did was to expose the decals to the sunlight, then check it at regular intervals. I think red only bleaches when it is exposed to ultraviolet light in the longterm.

Thanks!

MidMazar
07-19-2012, 09:20 AM
The window trick worked for me, but took about 6 months. Heres a german modeler link:

http://www.scale-racing.com/85,0,-decals-entgilben,index,0.html

icon_modeler
07-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Wow!!! I don't read German so I don't know what the text says but the pictures tell the whole story. I have heard about doing this but have never tried it. That sheet was destroyed by the yellowing and the sun light completely saved them. I would have never thought that a sheet with that much yellowing could be saved. Now the biggest question is will they stay in one piece long enough to be applied and not just fall apart as soon as they hit the water.

Thanks for the link and the pictures.

Zonic2001
07-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Wow!!! I don't read German so I don't know what the text says but the pictures tell the whole story. I have heard about doing this but have never tried it. That sheet was destroyed by the yellowing and the sun light completely saved them. I would have never thought that a sheet with that much yellowing could be saved. Now the biggest question is will they stay in one piece long enough to be applied and not just fall apart as soon as they hit the water.

Thanks for the link and the pictures.

I still have that question in my mind too... will the decals be usable after exposing them to UV light in addition of being old. Lots of question marks. ????????

So far I had the decals two days exposed to sunlight and a very minor improvement happened. Very minor http://staticaf.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon9.gif and I live in florida, the sunny state!!!!

Add your comment to this topic!