Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gauge light

BigBoyB
06-04-2003, 12:39 PM
I want to change the light inside my 96 integra gsr gauge cluster to a blue bulb but am not sure where to get the bulb and what # bulb to get. Is it pretty easy to swap the bulbs? I dont want to go the reverse glow route cause the white gauges look wak. thanks for the help

SilverY2KCivic
06-04-2003, 02:02 PM
They should use the same bulbs as side marker lights, the 194 type bulb it's called.

whiteracer
06-04-2003, 02:56 PM
how hard are they to get to and put in? I've seen a couple places with a cabinet full of small lights (turn signal, dome, etc.), are they easy to find?

SilverY2KCivic
06-04-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by whiteracer
how hard are they to get to and put in? I've seen a couple places with a cabinet full of small lights (turn signal, dome, etc.), are they easy to find?

Cabinets full? LOL! Pep Boys and Kragen and those places have AISLES dedicated to practically any type of OE replacement bulb you could possibly need. However, they pretty much only carry Sylvania bubls which only come in either clear or amber color. The "rice" aisles of those stores will usually carry a few other colors of sidemarker and turn signal type bulbs, and are pretty cheaply priced. For more selection of the bulbs in the gauge cluster (194/168 style bulbs) check out almost any import parts shop, and get either Polarg or Raybrig brand bubls, a little better quality, and like I said, better selection of colors.

I know for our Civics they use a couple 194 style bulbs as well as a couple 24NA style bulbs, which those you can only find at places like Kragen and Pep Boys and unfortunately only come in clear or amber. Below is a pic of the color scheme for my cluster at night...

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=958938

whiteracer
06-05-2003, 01:25 AM
ok i'm sure i can find the bulbs and stuff, but how many bulbs did it take for the amber lights behind the numbers? and what's that blue light?

killah_xft
06-05-2003, 12:17 PM
that blue light is for his shifter... he has an automatic.. you can tell because he does'nt have a tachometer.

SilverY2KCivic
06-05-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by killah_xft
he has an automatic.. you can tell because he does'nt have a tachometer.

Not in my cluster at least. :hehehe:

Anywho, for my cluster as would be the same for yours, there's 4 bulbs for the numbers you have to change. 2 194 style bulbs, and 2 much smaller 24NA bulbs. That's it. Then the 2 bulbs that shine down to backlight the needles are also 24NA type bulbs as well. You can just take those out so they don;t light up, but you won't be able to see your needles very well.

As for the blue light, just to do something different, I replaced the bulb that lights up the "D4" shift position on the cluster, with a super bright blue LED. Gives the cluster a neat, yet different look. Also, if you downshift your tranny at all, it'll help you KNOW what position your shifter is in so you know if you're in D4 or D3.

eckoman_pdx
06-06-2003, 03:22 AM
Automatic tranny's come with tachs, just like a manual would in LX and EX models. The reason he doesn't have a Tach is cuz it's a DX. DX= NO tach, LX and above = Tach. No DX comes with a tach in the cluster, it doesnt matter if its a manual tranny or an Automatic tranny. You can tell lookin at his cluster its a DX cluster (besides the fact he said so). I also have a DX, so again, no cluster tach. They tell you that in the Civic Onwers manual, DX has no Tach, just speedo, gas, and temp. LX and EX add a Tach into the mix (and then stick the tach where the temp on the dx is, and move the temp to the same circle as the gas, as I am sure you know).

killah_xft
06-06-2003, 03:29 AM
I'd much rather have a tach, than anything else, nothing as fundamental as a tach should be taken out of a car.. tachs are a good way to guage idling problems, or anything else that could be wrong with the engine.. and yes I have an LX, and it's a manual... all the cars I have ever had, or driven have a tach.. at least I was half right... it is an auto...

eckoman_pdx
06-06-2003, 04:15 AM
Yea, beilive me, it sucks gettin the Dx and havin no tach. and its not worth the price to swap in a new cluster from an LX, EX, etc. It's just easier to get an aftermarket tach. I mean, usually they are more accurate by a bit than stock tachs, which can come from the factory off a bit, but still. I mean, I agree with you, I don't see HOW Honda could make a car with no tach, auto or manual, it's import for many reasons, including the very reasons you said. I think a tach is just as important as a speedo. I wish the DX came with a Tach. Coulda put the $$ into something esle, lol.

Add your comment to this topic!