Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

power steering winning

big white bufflo
07-13-2012, 07:57 AM
my wife 2003 windstar power rack devolped a leak replace that then the pump would not quiet down so i replace that it been together for 3 days and will not stop winning i have read about air in system should i give it time or is it posible the hoses were put on at the rack wrong :smokin:

gmtech1
07-13-2012, 09:00 AM
Did you bleed the air from the system after the repairs? If not, you need to. In some cases a vacuum bleed is needed to remove all the air. I doubt you have the lines on wrong, they are usually different threads into the gear.

scubacat
07-13-2012, 09:27 AM
I bled mine by just bumping the starter about 5-6 times and topping off the reservoir after each time. Seemed to do the trick.

wiswind
07-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Replacement of the power steering fluid is highly recommended.
Use a synthetic ATF.....like Mobil 1 ATF....as power steering fluid DOES get quite hot and a non-synthetic fluid can break down quickly.
Also a synthetic ATF will give you improved cold temperature performance.
Old fluid is a very common cause of noisy power steering on the Windstar.

It can take some time to work all the air bubbles out....and you will have noise as long as you have them.

ajb0009
07-15-2012, 03:11 PM
This is on topic a bit, but not a reply to your question. I have a 1998 Windstar with 3.8L; about 125k miles. I replaced the power steering pump a couple years ago with a reman unit. Has always had a pretty bad whine. I recently flushed the system with Lucas Oil full synthetic power steering fluid. The steering is much smoother, but it not do anything for the whine.

Windstartled
07-15-2012, 04:50 PM
This is on topic a bit, but not a reply to your question. I have a 1998 Windstar with 3.8L; about 125k miles. I replaced the power steering pump a couple years ago with a reman unit. Has always had a pretty bad whine. I recently flushed the system with Lucas Oil full synthetic power steering fluid. The steering is much smoother, but it not do anything for the whine.

Pump bearing would be my first suspect then.

Add your comment to this topic!