Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Does you car have the side firewall panels? Needed?

Cobra4B
07-12-2012, 12:30 AM
No extra panels at the outer edges of the firewall
http://www.wirewheel.com/gallery/79642/panoz-penske-race-car.jpg

Vs.

Extra panels
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/545065_3842031380521_1113254809_n.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/403492_3842031660528_1390448752_n.jpg

Seems they stop debris/air from going down the side of the chassis? They're not shown in the Panoz GTS Parts Manual. Are they needed? I'm stripping and prepping the chassis for powdercoat and they're pretty beat up. Considering just taking them off as 1/2 the cars I see don't have them to begin with.

~Brian

panozracing
07-12-2012, 01:45 AM
I dont have them....extra weight :-)

PanozDuke
07-12-2012, 07:58 AM
I don't have them, but I've seriously considered adding them. I figured they might deflect some of the engine heat down rather than passing down the side tunnels above the exhaust and adding to the heat coming into the cockpit as well as the pressure build up at the rear bumper cover. I was going to combine those with hood louvers to help exhaust more engine heat directly and try to insullate some interior surfaces to block the heat as well. I've added insullation to the "arm rest" tunnels and the interior sides next to the exhaust on both sides. Not enough improvement by any means. I still measure over 130 degrees in there in 90 degree weather.

Haven't gotten to the point of doing these things as other things have been more important. I think the louvers are probably going to be the first step as a lot of the heat comes through the fire wall and floor boards as well. Insulating the transmission tunnel is probably right there with the louvers. I consider the firewall extensions as probably only marginally effective, but pretty easy to try. Until I get the interior heat below 120 degrees, I've given up on running in the Texas heat and humidity even with cool shirt and helmet air. I'm at the age were brain fade and heat are closely related. Not fun.

Mike

Cobra4B
07-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Yes heat management is of huge concern to me. Last weekend running with NARRA at VIR it was 108 ambient. That's part of why I painted my Z06's interior all white and am glad I got a silver car (not a dark color). I have my entire tunnel lined with DEI heat shield and my exhaust wrapped. I also have a FAST Cool Shirt which is worth it's weight in gold. I don't have a helmet blower.

It's worrisome to me that you can't get comfortable in the car with the cool shirt and helmet air. My father is in his 60s and this is his car so heat management is of top priority. Just keep tabs on my thread and I'll post up what I decide to do. Basically I'm going to spend a mall fortune on DEI heat shield and line the entire tub. Then I'm going to get the mufflers away from the driver and wrap everything.

I was thinking exactly the opposite of you... that removing these side panels might increase airflow and serve to evacuate heat. But I'd probably need to create some kind of vents in the rear bumper cover. I know Kel cut holes in his.

Blue Streak 21
07-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Brian; Great job with the rebuild. Consider going with a smaller fuel cell as it will save a bunch of weight and help with even distribution (front to rear) since your going with an all alum motor.

I removed my side shields early on in the weight reduction effort. Only saved a few OZ, but it's improved air flow around the motor. Plus they end up looking pretty nasty soon after you install them as rocks just destroy the panels.

I think adding louvers in the hood above each front wheel is a great idea. One of the next items on my long list.

Cobra4B
07-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Thanks... definitely going with a smaller cell. Shooting for 25XX lbs.

PanozDuke
07-13-2012, 09:12 AM
"I was thinking exactly the opposite of you... that removing these side panels might increase airflow and serve to evacuate heat. But I'd probably need to create some kind of vents in the rear bumper cover. I know Kel cut holes in his."

Brian,
You are probably correct. Getting the heat out of the engine compartment is the bigger issue and getting the exhaust heat away from the side bulkheads is even more important. Running both exhausts out the passenger side (a la Kel) has to be big. Tom (cobrafang) did it to his and it seemed to make a big difference. I still have the shorty headers (money), but I think I can get it pretty easily modified to get both exhausts out the passenger side.

Mike

Cobra4B
07-14-2012, 12:02 AM
Pulled them off tonight... they're going in my scrap yard pile.

NZGTRA17
07-14-2012, 02:55 AM
"I was thinking exactly the opposite of you... that removing these side panels might increase airflow and serve to evacuate heat. But I'd probably need to create some kind of vents in the rear bumper cover. I know Kel cut holes in his."

Brian,
You are probably correct. Getting the heat out of the engine compartment is the bigger issue and getting the exhaust heat away from the side bulkheads is even more important. Running both exhausts out the passenger side (a la Kel) has to be big. Tom (cobrafang) did it to his and it seemed to make a big difference. I still have the shorty headers (money), but I think I can get it pretty easily modified to get both exhausts out the passenger side.

Mike

Guys, when I get the chance I will post some pics of the exhaust "upgrade" that we did to get down under 95db. This involved cutting out part of the steel diaphragms in the RH side of the tub to provide more room for the f***off big muflers that we installed.

Even getting down to 92.8db and taking all that energy out of the exhaust stream we still do not have heat issues inside the car with the RH side only exhaust. On the flip side we rarely race the car in tems higher than 25 deg C. Last weekend it was 8 - 10 degs C....!!

We also found a good use for the LH side exhaust cut out. Hand beat an aircraft style scoop out of aluminium and used it to feed 2 x 2" scat hoses to the rear brakes. Worked a treat.

Kel.

Add your comment to this topic!