Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Front Right Signal out - bulb & socket OK

DOCTORBILL
07-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Since winter & cold & damp & rain, my left front signal won't work.

Left Back works.

Every once in a while the front signal works then not.

Where would I look for a bad connection ?

Probably some connection corroded and needs scraping - but where ?

The PHOENIX is still going along ! I LOVE THIS CAR !

DoctorBill

Crvett69
07-10-2012, 05:49 PM
clean the socket and i believe it has a plug about a foot begind the socket where it hooks to body wiring harness. good to see you on here again Doc

Metro Mighty Mouse
07-11-2012, 01:54 AM
You didn't mention, did you change the bulb? They sometimes will look fine, work occasionally, and the filament is actually broken.

MMM

Woodie83
07-11-2012, 04:03 AM
Ground for the front markers and turn signals is on the render just behind the headlight. A single black wire on each side that is bolted to the inside fender. Loosen that up, wiggle it around, and tighten it back down. Same should be done with every ground you can find, every two years or so.

Jeff Collision
07-11-2012, 06:27 AM
Check the electric circuit to make sure that the fuse and relay are working properly. Also you need to check your turn signal bulb, flasher and socket.

DOCTORBILL
07-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Nice to come back to the Metro Forum !

I checked the bulb - It is good.

Scraped the socket out and greased it.

I will look for that ground wire and the socket about a foot back.

Here where they spray snow melter all the time, metal corrodes like crazy.

I'll let you all know if I find what is wrong.

95 degrees outside and I'm not doing so well in this heat.

How do those people in the middle East live in such temperatures ?!

DoctorBill

PS - Been into working with a small Lathe. Lot of fun !

DOCTORBILL
07-18-2012, 01:27 PM
Whatever is causing this, I can't find it !

Clue....

Today I went to the Post office.

Making a left turn, I clicked on the left turn signal and it clicked
fast like it does when a light is out.

As I started the left turn, the signal went back to clicking slowly.

So, I think that whatever is wrong is in the steering wheel electrical stuff.

Now it is clicking slowly - for a while - then it goes back to fast clicking.

I suppose I need to pull off the steering wheel and look at the switch (?)

Any ideas as to what parts to look at ?

DoctorBill

Crvett69
07-18-2012, 01:30 PM
switch is sealed, can't really do much with it. if you take it apart stuff will go everywhere, did you find the plug where socket harness attaches to body harness?

DOCTORBILL
07-18-2012, 01:51 PM
If you mean the two wire one about 6 inches behind the front left turn signal, yes.

Appears to be OK.

DoctorBill

Crvett69
07-18-2012, 02:06 PM
i would unplug it and chechk for corrsion and plug and unplug it a few times to make sure it has good contact. there is a chat room here now too if you want to say hi

Woodie83
07-19-2012, 03:45 AM
I don't think it's in the switchgear, that's going to turn on the turn signals or not, no possible way it could turn on one and not the other. You need to get a shop manual and trace the wiring. I'd start at the bulb by checking to see which connection is missing, 12V or ground.

DOCTORBILL
07-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Where would the left front turn signal wire branch off of the main trunk harness line ?

Yesterday, I replaced my 6 year old battery and ground cable with new.

Cleaned up the left fender ground connection and greased it before reassembling.

Turn signal still doesn't work....

DoctorBill

DOCTORBILL
07-25-2012, 07:48 PM
No entry....

red39715
07-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Had the same problem on my 92 Metro. The problem lies in the connector from the light to the body circuit. It is not the connection between connectors but the connection between wire and pin or socket. I just pulled on the wires and got a good connection. Not the best way but it did work. If you can get the pins out of the socket you could recrimp them.

Woodie83
07-26-2012, 04:08 AM
Check out page 7 of this document: http://swift.crime.one.pl/pliki/schematy/suzuki_swift_1993.pdf It appears that the combination switch plugs into the junction box (fusebox under the dash) and then separate wires come out of the junction box for the front and the rear turn signals. Problem must be in the junction box (unlikely), at the connectors at the junction box, or in the wire between the junction box and the light.

Again, when troubleshooting this sort of wiring problem, there is no substitute for a genuine Factory Service Manual. That would show you the exact path including locations of various connectors along the way.

DOCTORBILL
08-02-2012, 11:08 PM
I do have a Chilton Manual.

I will try to check out that plug going into the Fuse Box.

I still love "The Phoenix" as I call my '95 Metro 'cause I brought it back from the Dead.

DoctorBill

PS - Nice talking to you all on the Chat Room !

Woodie83
08-03-2012, 04:10 AM
Chilton's or Haynes are worthless for this kind of problem, you need the factory service manual for your year.

DOCTORBILL
10-30-2012, 12:06 AM
Been looking everywhere and wiggling this and that....to no avail !

Then was going to pull out the Battery and mess with that big connector behind it...ugh.

So today, I was turning right (both those lamps work OK) and after completing the turn,
my turn signal lever made a strange 'clunk'....

Now my left front turn signal works !

God knows what the heck is going on !

Do the front and back lights on the turn signal split off at the steering wheel signal box switch ?

An enigma wrapped in a riddle inside of a mystery....

DoctorBill

Add your comment to this topic!