Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

beretta starts then dies has fuel and spark need help!!!!

impalaman77012
07-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Hey people.. i have a problem with my 89 beretta gtu 2.8l V6. I was driving to work on the freeway. all of a sudden the car dies. i restarted it but every time i touched the gas it died. ended up driving it about four mile to a safe lot. a got it towed home. The next morning it wouldnt stay on at all.. it starts and runs for 2 seconds.. had the ignition module check and its good. replace the crank senor, the tps, and the isc.. Checked fuel pressure and its good. took the upper intake off to access the fuel rail and the injectors are spraying.. checked each plug for spark and all good there.. the car still wont stay on dies after 2 seconds.. anybody have any ideas. im stumped.. please anyone..

Tech II
07-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Checked compression?

Does this have a MAF?

To eliminate a fuel problem, spray carb cleaner into the throttle body while cranking...if it runs as long as you spray, it's a fuel problem....

Have you checked for flash codes?

impalaman77012
07-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Ok no maf and sprayed starting fluid into intake and same thing runs for two seconds and dies....i also noticed that it seems to be back firing threw the intake madifold... i ran compresion test this morning.. On three different cylinders.. i let each one turn about 10 times and got one of the cylinders up to 70 psi and the other two only went only up to 35 psi and if i continue to turn engine over it will reach 80

impalaman77012
07-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Oh yah no codes now but in the begining i had a code 33 and replace the map sensor... im think its the timing chain

Tech II
07-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Yeah, compression does not look good.....

impalaman77012
07-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Ok well aftera long day. I decide to go ahead and check the timing chain .. I fiund out that i had atleast 3/4 of an inch play on the chain....went and bought a new kit and reinstalled it all...its alotbof work in a small area.. it started right on up ...but i noticed a misfire... Plugs a folded out black...will replace those tomorrow.... Darn timing chain causing the vakves to stay open longer than suppose to or should i say not closing when compressing......copmpression is in the range of 120 to 130 on all six cylinders.....thanks for the help....

Add your comment to this topic!